Running hot lately, dash temp guage climbing on hills

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've finally been enjoying my Liberty this summer after a long spell of repairs. The past few weeks I'm noticing my dash temp gauge climbing a bit, mostly on hill ascent. First time was after 6 hours wheeling so I figured it was pretty warm already (electric fan was running most of the day) and did not think anything of it when the temp gauge climbed steadily on a long hill on the way home from the trails. It dropped as I coasted down the other side of the hill.

Since then, it happens on little drives of 25-30 miles to work. Temp rises to about 226-233 F on my OBDI scanner, but goes down to 212-216 if I ease off or coast downhill. I'm wondering if my water pump is failing? No leaks visible but its the second pump (replaced more than 50K miles ago) and non-Mopar part. I'm at 134K miles with original radiator.

Cooling system maintenance history: 124,000 miles New thermostat Lower radiator hose replaced Upper Radiator hose replaced New radiator cap Coolant flush and fill 80,000 miles Water pump failed - pump and thermostat replaced

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have checked fluid level Cold? Looked for bugs/mud restrictions? Check the simple schit before going panic mode.

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really sure. Build sheet does not mention it and It and it did not come with the tow package.
You would know. Huge clutch fan hanging off the water pump. Highly suggest the upgrade to that along with finding what's up.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have checked fluid level Cold? Looked for bugs/mud restrictions? Check the simple schit before going panic mode.

Bob

Will do tonight. Its been sitting the last three days. I did first notice the temp climb after wheeling. Mud and water crossings were involved and I washed it pretty well after I thought but will do a closer inspection.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coolant reservoir was almost empty. My bad for not checking it often enough. I'll fill it today after work and do some driving this weekend to see if the level holds.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would know. Huge clutch fan hanging off the water pump. Highly suggest the upgrade to that along with finding what's up.

I researched the HD cooling and its now on my ever-growing list!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ ya if you are adding coolant to reservoir, coolant must be going somewhere...
After it sits all night, add to cold fill line, which is middle of the tank:
53309[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I like to allow the jeep to get hot and carefully crack the bleeder screw to burp air too.
The problem is if there is a small leak, air will still get in the system, which is not good.
53311[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• Jeep%20Coolant%20Reservoir.jpg
    Jeep%20Coolant%20Reservoir.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 0
  • JeepBleedAirScrew.jpg
    JeepBleedAirScrew.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ ya if you are adding coolant to reservoir, coolant must be going somewhere...
After it sits all night, add to cold fill line, which is middle of the tank:
53346[/ATTACH]"]

I like to allow the jeep to get hot and carefully crack the bleeder screw to burp air too.
The problem is if there is a small leak, air will still get in the system, which is not good.
53348[/ATTACH]"]

Thanks for the detailed post and pictures. My original post said reservoir was empty. Well, in daylight outside I could see better and the level was actually a quarter of the way to the cold fill line. I topped off to proper level. Checked oil and no milkshake, it looked fine. I finally had the chance to drive it today 28 miles to work.

Once it warmed up temps went from 211 -236 (on my OBDI scanner) but never saw the idiot gauge spike today.

I verified the electric fan is working properly; it was running when I stopped at work and temp was 223.

So, with that said I did notice white exhaust when I started it up and water dripping from the tailpipe. Goes away when warmed up so hopefully nothing to worry about. :blah:

Attachments

• Jeep%20Coolant%20Reservoir.jpg
    Jeep%20Coolant%20Reservoir.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 0
  • JeepBleedAirScrew.jpg
    JeepBleedAirScrew.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 0

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed post and pictures. My original post said reservoir was empty. Well, in daylight outside I could see better and the level was actually a quarter of the way to the cold fill line. I topped off to proper level. Checked oil and no milkshake, it looked fine. I finally had the chance to drive it today 28 miles to work.

Once it warmed up temps went from 211 -236 (on my OBDI scanner) but never saw the idiot gauge spike today.

I verified the electric fan is working properly; it was running when I stopped at work and temp was 223.

So, with that said I did notice white exhaust when I started it up and water dripping from the tailpipe. Goes away when warmed up so hopefully nothing to worry about. :blah:

White exhaust at startup until warmup isn't something to really worry about, especially if it's cooler out. The water (at least a small amount) dripping from the exhaust was probably just condensation, also, water is actually a by-product of hydrocarbon combustion, in small amounts.

If you get white smoke when warm, though, that's a problem.

Keep an eye on the level, if it starts dropping again then get a pressure test. You may have leaky radiator end caps, or something.

It's a good idea to check the level at least every oil change, as you do loose coolant through evaporation at a slow rate.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update to this old thread: I had a crack in the radiator. Finally got bad enough to notice. Oh well, the original rad almost lasted 140K so it was due anyway.