Rubbing Issues? Thank you all!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

awsten84

Reaction score
I've been told that the wheels and tires I just bought for my 2007 KJ (no lift) are going to cause major rubbing issues, but I can't seem to figure out why that would be so.

This is what I have on it now, fully stock:
1. 225/75R16 tires, diameter 29.28", section width 8.85"
2. 16x7" wheels, 5x4.5" bolt pattern, 5.5" backspace

This is what I bought and want to put on:
1. 225/75R16 General Grabber AT2 tires, diameter 29.3
2. 16x7" Cragar Black D Window wheels, 5x4.5" bolt pattern, 4" backspace

Virtually, the only difference in this new setup I want to put on is the 4" backspace instead of my current 5.5" backspace.

Any red flags here, and if so, what are some possible solutions?

Thanks, all!

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Lift it :)
The wheels will sit further out, making the arc they make when they steer bigger, thus changing what they'll rub against.

Haven't done anything about this on an unlifted KJ, so ThunderbirdJunkie will reserve any more comments.

awsten84

Reaction score
Lift it :)
The wheels will sit further out, making the arc they make when they steer bigger, thus changing what they'll rub against.

Haven't done anything about this on an unlifted KJ, so ThunderbirdJunkie will reserve any more comments.

If I lift it I have a boat load of questions. Haha.

How much lift? What do I buy? What should I buy? If I lift it, I don't want a ridiculous looking lift; something conservative would be nice.

What is a good baseline brand to look in to? I don't want to spend tons of money but want something that isn't going to break in to a bunch of pieces if I get frisky and offroad a little.

Thanks.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Read up on lifts,tires,wheels.There is about 3 weeks,6hr a day worth of info jst on this site.Then go to LOST and read for a while longer,99% of current ? will be answered.

awsten84

Reaction score
It wouldn't be so hard if people didn't contradict answers amongst different forums. I forum hop and get completely different answers for the same question; I suppose that just comes with obtaining information and the opinions of one person to the next, though.

I've read more than once that what I'm putting on my Jeep will fit without a lift, but then have some tell me it won't.

I've read a lot. Thanks for the suggestion, ridenby.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME/Rancho is among the top lifts, runs about 600-700$ Biggest tires that will fit w/o rubbing 245/70/16

BDS lift is about 200$ its a decent lift.

Or you can get a spacer lift like daystar for about 200$, these are just for looks basically, no performance help.