Rubbing issue with my '08

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I turn corners, either right or left, I get rubbing feeling from the front end. Is this typical of Jeeps? Have never owned a Jeep before. It's all stock, the tires are GY Wranglers 235/65/17. Just got it last week and have loved it so far, but the feeling from it on turning corners bothers me....never felt it before in any other car. 61 yr young female here that doesn't know too much about that kind of stuff......can anyone make suggestions???????
Made an appt. to take it in on Friday to have it checked out, but interested in what some of you think.......thanks so much:)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You did the right thing. It is brand new and that is what the warrenty is for. You shouldn't get any "rubbing" with stock tires.

Let us know what they say.

Dave

silverfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You did the right thing. It is brand new and that is what the warrenty is for. You shouldn't get any "rubbing" with stock tires.

Let us know what they say.

Dave

Thanks Dave....I didn't think it should be rubbing either. I don't see that the tire size is causing it. I'll let all of you know on Friday!

silverfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if it could possibly be the brakes.....although they sound fine when I stop straight. :confused::confused::confused:

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing what you lear - our 08 feel the same way. I had looked the tires over, when we first got the Libery, but couldn't find any sign of the tires rubbing. However, I now have an external fixator on my leg and have not been able to get down and look, now that there are more miles on the Liberty.

kjfan18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same size tire on mine but my kj is a 03. Mine rub at full turn and its the stock size. They rub on the fog light doors.

2003KJ

Reaction score
This Command Trac II 4x4 they use now.....is this still a part time transfer case? If it's more of an AWD, I would have to wonder if maybe it's binding.

Not familiar with them thar fancy schmancy new fangled gizmos...

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
This Command Trac II 4x4 they use now.....is this still a part time transfer case? If it's more of an AWD, I would have to wonder if maybe it's binding.

Yes. It's still a part time transfer case.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JB2Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003KJ

Yes. It's still a part time transfer case.
That is electronically shifted,so it could not be fully disengaging.GM had major problems when they came out with the electronic shift t-cases.

2003KJ

Reaction score
That is electronically shifted,so it could not be fully disengaging.GM had major problems when they came out with the electronic shift t-cases.

That's what I thought, and more along the lines of what i'm thinking could be the issue. I knew it had all gone electronic now (booooooooooooo)...just didn't know if it was more along the lines of a quadra-trac full time thang or not.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well.....I had first hand experience with that electronic thingy on a gmc jimmy. It was bolted right into the t-case and had the electronic connection inside it that was supposed to make contact When you pushed the green button on the dash for 4hi. It didn't engauge and just flashed at me instead of engauging and staying green. So I went to replace it and they wanted an arm and a leg and my first born for the darn part if I remember right.. So I took a chance at one from a junk yard and it worked. (whew - lucky).....darn electronic stuff.........

Anyway if that is what it is on hers, at least the problem showed up under her warrenty.

I like the manually shifted t-case I have, thankyou........

Dave

silverfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.....I had first hand experience with that electronic thingy on a gmc jimmy. It was bolted right into the t-case and had the electronic connection inside it that was supposed to make contact When you pushed the green button on the dash for 4hi. It didn't engauge and just flashed at me instead of engauging and staying green. So I went to replace it and they wanted an arm and a leg and my first born for the darn part if I remember right.. So I took a chance at one from a junk yard and it worked. (whew - lucky).....darn electronic stuff.........

Anyway if that is what it is on hers, at least the problem showed up under her warrenty.

I like the manually shifted t-case I have, thankyou........

Dave

Well thank you all so far!!! You just may be right, and I'm thankful it's under warranty, if that's what the problem is. I know the more electronic stuff is, the more to go wrong.....but I so love my new Jeep:cool:

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the problem is in the transfer case - Yea, I like the manual shifters I have in the Rubicon, and my old Ford, but the TC in the Liberty is working fine and I have the rubbing sensation??????

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I turn corners, either right or left, I get rubbing feeling from the front end. Is this typical of Jeeps? Have never owned a Jeep before. It's all stock, the tires are GY Wranglers 235/65/17. Just got it last week and have loved it so far, but the feeling from it on turning corners bothers me....never felt it before in any other car. 61 yr young female here that doesn't know too much about that kind of stuff......can anyone make suggestions???????
Made an appt. to take it in on Friday to have it checked out, but interested in what some of you think.......thanks so much:)

My wife came home today telling me when she made a turn,it sounded like she had a flat tire,and a high pitch sound in the Jeep.She thought it came from the back.This is the second time its done this.Did you ever get your's looked at?This might turn out to be a common problem.08 Liberty Sport

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silverfox........where are you??

Did you find out what was wrong with it??

Dave

silverfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They found nothing wrong with it. Mine is the Limited. Mine has never made a whining sound like your wife is talking about. Mine is more a feel to the steering than it is a sound. Guess I've gotten used to it now, but it's still there.

richd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They found nothing wrong with it. Mine is the Limited. Mine has never made a whining sound like your wife is talking about. Mine is more a feel to the steering than it is a sound. Guess I've gotten used to it now, but it's still there.

Thank you for your answer.At least we know its a differant problem.If anybody else has or heard of someone with my problem,please let me know.Thanks

Members online

No members online now.