Rr Fog Light Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Croft

Reaction score
Can anyone advise how to switch the Rear Fog Lights on a 2002 Liberty - UK version?

Handbook says to turn the headlight stalk to the third position and indeed there is the symbol on the stalk - trouble is, it wont turn three positions!

I've read on another forum that you can pull the switch out before it will turn to the third position..........confess I'm at work and not be home to try this, but as I was on the forum I'd throw the question out there!

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise how to switch the Rear Fog Lights on a 2002 Liberty - UK version?

Handbook says to turn the headlight stalk to the third position and indeed there is the symbol on the stalk - trouble is, it wont turn three positions!

I've read on another forum that you can pull the switch out before it will turn to the third position..........confess I'm at work and not be home to try this, but as I was on the forum I'd throw the question out there!

turn then pull tward door.

ronjcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to turn the switch at least once to turn on your running lights then you can pull it, or just turn your lights all the way on and pull it toward your door. That's how mine work at least :shrug:

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried that, well, pulled it as hard as I dare/think is reasonable and nothing..........

it would just pull nicely .... maybe it was changed and doesnt have the option on the stick ... not all kj's have fog lights.... also maybe you'rs come on automatically and could be blown bulbs... take a pic of the coloumn where the switch is and maybe i can help you more.

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wait ... rear fog lights? you mean your back up lights? now that i have searched a bit .. there is no actual switch to turn them on ... i guess the exports come with rear fog ights..... the fuse is fuse 2 a 10 amp fuse
chec that first

Last edited:

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think all you have to do is keep switching forward. first click =parking lights second = headlights and third rear fog lights, pull towards door = front foglights

you showld have a switch like thisone. can you upload a pick of yours?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep you should just turn the switch three times....the rear fog lights should come on and an amber symbol should light up on the cluster. This is how it works on my 2002 Export CRD Sport which has the basic package. If your switch does not move three times I would suspect that a previous owner replaced the switch with a USA model or the Multifunction switch is faulty. You only pull out on the switch if the KJ has the optional front fog lamps fitted.....standard on the LTD version.

Does the amber fog decal come up on the cluster when you hold in the Odometer Trip Reset Button while switching the ignition ON but not starting? This turns all the LEDs on and move the gauges around. If this decal does come up on the cluster then it means to me that you have the wrong light switch fitted or a faulty switch.

Have you checked that the rear light clusters have fog lamps fitted?

Check fuse 2 inside the cabin although that has nothing to do with the switch not moving.

There is also a Rear Fog Light Relay located on the rear of the inside fuse panel...called the Junction Block...if you flip the Junction Block over you will see a cluster of 9 small relays...bottom two slots on the left-hand side are spares and so are empty....above the empty slots there should be your Rear Fog Lamp Relay...if you have your lights switched ON and pull this relay out you can carefully short out pins 30 and 87 inside the Relay Socket....rear fog lights should come ON. This Rear Fog Lamp Relay is activated by the BCM but likewise your Light Switch Stalk needs to move three positions!

Last edited:

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep you should just turn the switch three times....the rear fog lights should come on and an amber symbol should light up on the cluster. This is how it works on my 2002 Export CRD Sport which has the basic package. If your switch does not move three times I would suspect that a previous owner replaced the switch with a USA model or the Multifunction switch is faulty. You only pull out on the switch if the KJ has the optional front fog lamps fitted.....standard on the LTD version.

Does the amber fog decal come up on the cluster when you hold in the Odometer Trip Reset Button while switching the ignition ON but not starting? This turns all the LEDs on and move the gauges around. If this decal does come up on the cluster then it means to me that you have the wrong light switch fitted or a faulty switch.

Have you checked that the rear light clusters have fog lamps fitted?

Check fuse 2 inside the cabin although that has nothing to do with the switch not moving.

There is also a Rear Fog Light Relay located on the rear of the inside fuse panel...called the Junction Block...if you flip the Junction Block over you will see a cluster of 9 small relays...bottom two slots on the left-hand side are spares and so are empty....above the empty slots there should be your Rear Fog Lamp Relay...if you have your lights switched ON and pull this relay out you can carefully short out pins 30 and 87 inside the Relay Socket....rear fog lights should come ON. This Rear Fog Lamp Relay is activated by the BCM but likewise your Light Switch Stalk needs to move three positions!

good info i am not a that used to the export mode gassers ... im in canada we get the american gasser... but we get the export crd

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed on mine since I have installed an Export Stalk that turning to the rear fog light position is a little tough but doable you just turn it one more time after the headlight option. I suspect its set up this way so you don't throw the switch all the way to the rear fog light position. Note: Mine are still wired as running lights as of right now till I get a full rear wiring harness.

Gary Croft

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and advise, I actually found how to do it - you need to twist the switch round, then push it IN then twist to the last position.

Bit stupid to be honest, why they can have them on a separate switch like everyone else I don't know!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips and advise, I actually found how to do it - you need to twist the switch round, then push it IN then twist to the last position.

Bit stupid to be honest, why they can have them on a separate switch like everyone else I don't know!

That is weird....my Export CRD I only have to turn it to the third position...no pushing or pulling needed. They must have changed the design at some stage or else maybe there is a difference as regards UK models:shrug:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or the switch is messed up in one fashion or another, just turning mine to the third position with a little effort is all it takes for mine and my switch came off a UK Export.

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have pull out my junction box and see if I have a relay there, if not get one and put in. Hopefully next month or May I will finish the process and get the full wiring harness for the rear and finish the conversion.