Rough Riding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the oil in the KJ and went to take it for a spin. All seemed ok until I went to back it up into the garage and it limped until it died and for some reason the oil light came on (never does). Tried starting it again and nothing, so I put my foot on the gas and it started but eventually died another 2-3 times before I finally got it backed in.
My first thought is it needs spark plugs, but how do I check the coil packs to ensure they’re ok? Not sure when they were last changed, if ever, as I purchased it with about 160k and it now has 190k+ so the plugs are definitely due but not sure about the packs.
I think I’ll just change the plugs for now since they’re cheap and see if it works..

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Backing into driveway is it a flat surface?
I take it you did the oil & filter, just make sure it is not leaking anywhere like from the oil filter or pressure sensor, above the filter, & that your oil is at correct level.
Use the OEM plugs as what is recommended on the under hood sticker and check the gap.
62771[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

The coil packs generally fire it well, but I also consider them to be a tune up item every 100k or before.
Do the plugs as mentioned & see what happens next...

Attachments

• 2TYCN3Y.jpg
    2TYCN3Y.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As stated in the “What did you do to your Jeep today” thread, it seems to run fine now with new plugs. I’ll do a more thorough drive tomorrow and make sure, but I’m hoping it’s fixed. They were in extremely bad shape

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I viewed the "What did you do to your Jeep today" post #18035.
Those plugs were definitely toast, and the corrosion woh..
Glad it is running good now.
So just to add to this thread for future member reads, as I mentioned in post in 18041 check for the o-rings on each coil pack to ensure they are present.
You must be registered for see images attach

I coat the o-ring seals with dielectric grease.