Rough Idle and stalling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monteray7

Reaction score
Hi there everyone,

I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty that has systematically broken down every 2-3 months. It currently has a problem I am unable to fix, however. My wife took it one day and it stalled and had a rough idle. In my quest to fix it, I have replaced all 6 ignition coils and spark plugs, the cam and crank sensors, and put in a new battery and intake air control valve. I have checked to see if a rocker arm is off and it does not seem to have those symptoms. My only other guess is a cracked head gasket? I don't know what to do but part of me wants to burn it to the ground at this point.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Is the throttle body clean? Any codes presently? What brand of sensors and coils did you use?

Last edited:

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what to do but part of me wants to burn it to the ground at this point.

Everyone feels like that eventually.
Don't be everyone..take pride in the fact you haven't given up and stay calm when working on it. It's the little things that get overlooked that end up causing the issues.

When you say it has stalled and rough idle.. Did it throw any codes? Misfires that led you to change the parts you have?
You used Mopar sensors and NGK copper plugs right? Looked at the plugs since install for any evidence of problems?
Did/Does it have a check engine light on? If so, what's the code?
The fact that it's not consistent makes me think sensor somewhere. Have you removed the cam sensors since install to ensure that it doesn't meet a cam lobe? Looked at the IAC to see the wear it has already undergone/check to make sure it's not getting covered in carbon deposits already that may shine some light on other problems that may be causing your frustration?

I think for sake of assurance that you should do a compression test.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Everyone feels like that eventually.
Don't be everyone..take pride in the fact you haven't given up and stay calm when working on it. It's the little things that get overlooked that end up causing the issues.

When you say it has stalled and rough idle.. Did it throw any codes? Misfires that led you to change the parts you have?
You used Mopar sensors and NGK copper plugs right? Looked at the plugs since install for any evidence of problems?
Did/Does it have a check engine light on? If so, what's the code?
The fact that it's not consistent makes me think sensor somewhere. Have you removed the cam sensors since install to ensure that it doesn't meet a cam lobe? Looked at the IAC to see the wear it has already undergone/check to make sure it's not getting covered in carbon deposits already that may shine some light on other problems that may be causing your frustration?

I think for sake of assurance that you should do a compression test.
Just getting ready to post those things , but too late to the table

monteray7

Reaction score
It threw a misfire in Cylinder 5 and that was it. It has started to have white smoke coming out of the engine block but the temperature doesn't seem to rise.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke?

Compression test is easy to do diagnostics.
On my inlaws car they had a misfire, it would go away for a bit and come back so they ignored it, finally it got bad enough the CEL was blinking (screaming)

V6 front wheel drive motor, rear cylinder was the one with the miss fire, hours of work to gain access. Pulled the plugs and replaced, then swapped the ignition coils front to back that way if one of those could was bad it would be a easier job to replace.
As the plugs were replaced we did a compression test, very good compression all cylinders, so we know if an issue comes back it's not the engine because the compression is good and we know the plugs are good. Any continuing problem would injectors, wiring, or ignition coil although the swap should trouble shoot that.

Other odd possibility are O2 sensors but from what we could see they were fine when the misfire happened.

Just an idea of what we did to trouble shoot this car. So far it's running with no errors for over two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro