Rough Country 3" Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoposnoki

Reaction score
Hey all, im new to this site. I have read some of the lift FAQs, but didn't see anything for the product I'm looking at. I am looking at getting the rough country 3" lift in link below and wanted to know if anyone has used it on their KJ. I have a 2004 3.7L with P235/70R16 Bridgestone Dueler AT tires and wanted to know if i would need to change out any gears when I apply the lift and new tires ( LT265/75R16 BF Goodrich AT KO2 )

I can only find the tires in 265/75 and believe /70 is recommended. I would imagine it would change my speedometer accuracy or something? I can deal with that, I just don't want to blow up my Diffs and/or T-Case.

Any thoughts on lift and/or tires? Thanks in Advance

lift 3in Suspension Lift Kit for 03-06 Jeep KJ Liberty [692.20] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

BF Goodrich Tires Part 67179 - LT265/75R16, All-Terrain T/A KO2 - 4 Wheel Drive

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the information you need about that product is at the end of this sentence....junk. don't buy.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey all, im new to this site. I have read some of the lift FAQs, but didn't see anything for the product I'm looking at. I am looking at getting the rough country 3" lift in link below and wanted to know if anyone has used it on their KJ. I have a 2004 3.7L with P235/70R16 Bridgestone Dueler AT tires and wanted to know if i would need to change out any gears when I apply the lift and new tires ( LT265/75R16 BF Goodrich AT KO2 )

I can only find the tires in 265/75 and believe /70 is recommended. I would imagine it would change my speedometer accuracy or something? I can deal with that, I just don't want to blow up my Diffs and/or T-Case.

Any thoughts on lift and/or tires? Thanks in Advance

lift 3in Suspension Lift Kit for 03-06 Jeep KJ Liberty [692.20] | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

BF Goodrich Tires Part 67179 - LT265/75R16, All-Terrain T/A KO2 - 4 Wheel Drive

ROUGH COUNTRY= JUNK
PLUS no spacer lifts, here is why. You have a 11-12 year old KJ that I'm sure the springs are at least an inch or more below new stock height. Adding a spacer style lift on used springs and used shocks will only result in a crappy ride and worn out parts. At this time the only real way is fro a full lift ( new springs and shocks ) from Jeepinbyal. Either Ironman which gives you 2.25 inches of lift or OME 927 / 948 combo ) which gives you 2.5 inches. Ignore the 1.5 advertised height . If you think you want more then there are things you can add to get 3.5 -4 inches BUT over 3 inches you need to replace the UCAs with jeepinbyal units.
So forget spacer lifts, Skyjacker and Rustys ( same spring rate as stock and will sag ) and RRO products
Now on to tires, if you want 265-75-16s then you need 4 inches of lift and to regear to 4.10s at least ( low as you can go with stock D30a up front
Stick with 245-75-16s will lose some power and mileage but not as much.
BFGs ??? no the best but supposedly the new design is somewhat better

What part of Ohio? We have KJs all over that have gone through my garage that have been lifted if you want to go for a ride in one lifted with OME/ Ironman or JBAs adjustable coilover kits

Yoposnoki

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks all. I was looking at a Skyjacker kit next, that comes with struts, shocks/springs for back. but will check out the ones listed in FAQ and what was mentioned above. I do not want to spend any more than $800 for the lift as I am really not sure how much wheeling i will be doing with this thing. That and with all of the issues, though not drive train related, that I have had with this thing, i may drive it off a cliff before getting the chance to wheel it.

I had BFG MTs on my Tj and never had any problems. Seeing as they revamped the ATs, I figured any bugs they may have had before are worked out. Plus, they are not $250 a tire, haha. I figured I would get rims that improve backspace and cut the body if the tires dont want to fit with a 3" lift. Fender flares are getting pulled off when i get everything figured out.

I live in Delaware, Ohio off of Rt 23.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks all. I was looking at a Skyjacker kit next, that comes with struts, shocks/springs for back. but will check out the ones listed in FAQ and what was mentioned above. I do not want to spend any more than $800 for the lift as I am really not sure how much wheeling i will be doing with this thing. That and with all of the issues, though not drive train related, that I have had with this thing, i may drive it off a cliff before getting the chance to wheel it.

I had BFG MTs on my Tj and never had any problems. Seeing as they revamped the ATs, I figured any bugs they may have had before are worked out. Plus, they are not $250 a tire, haha. I figured I would get rims that improve backspace and cut the body if the tires dont want to fit with a 3" lift. Fender flares are getting pulled off when i get everything figured out.

Just came through Delaware today coming back from Toledo
As far as Skyjacker, no on it, reason they are rated at 310 lb, same as stock and will sag in no time
Same thing as Rustys both are rated the same.
((((((( WAIT I already posted yesterday why Skyjacker wasn't good )))))))):shrug::favorites68:
OME 927s for example are rated at 400 lb, much better and last a long time
Best kits out there from 11 years experience is the Ironman and OME period. I've ran both on mine and installed a bunch others with no complaint
No cutting on the body, its all structural, not like a TJ etc. Bend or fold the pinch weld back over is best if the tires rub.
Doesn't matter how much wheeling you do, we've lifted some at my place that have never been off of pavement they just wanted a better ride and better handling than what stock provided
PLEASE don't pull the flares off, LOOKS LIKE CRAP without them.
Not a good look at all
You must be registered for see images attach

They look much better with a proper lift and flares on.
Some of the ones thats been through my garage

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Skyjacker
Jeep Liberty
Our Price:
$838.99
Shipping Surcharge:
+$24.99
OME
OME 2.50" lift kit KJ
OME 2.50" LIFT KIT KJ
$835.70

Huge difference in price isn't there ?

Yoposnoki

Reaction score
Yeah, I just looked at the lifts you mentioned yesterday. All the kits that come with front and rear springs/shocks run about $800+ (I was underestimating cost of good product I guess haha). I looked around last night after your post and found that "stock" replacement front struts are about $100each it looks like, which would put a spacer lift and stock struts at around $600 after tax, which would not be worth it, given weight ratings. (that's not something i accounted for when i started looking).

Where's your shop, I see you're in Central Ohio.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Just did lifts/brakes/tuneups/ swapped diffs etc out of my garage, anyone that wanted one done come one come all. We've done lifts for people from 6 states that came to my place outside Toledo. Used to have a M&G monthly there but then moved down here :shrug::favorites68::gr_grin:
Weekends at Mudds Garage

from older to newer

some spent the weekend

Some told lies,....:happy175:

Some were LOST in their own little world .....:happy175:

Yoposnoki

Reaction score
Nice! Well i have me some thinking to do. I know i will be replacing oils and rear axle before spending money on play mods. Maybe in June I will be ready to go. Thanks for all of the information man, I really appreciate it!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you ever get down this way let me know or sometime we'll meet somewhere
You can get my junker out and take a ride :gr_grin:

boboborino

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you ever get down this way let me know or sometime we'll meet somewhere
You can get my junker out and take a ride :gr_grin:

Tom, Tom, Tom, for one who preaches to everyone to read are you sure you want to let this guy take your junker for a ride?:ROFLJest:

Bert

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Who knows - Tom might have a lot of insurance on that thing. :icon_lol:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom, Tom, Tom, for one who preaches to everyone to read are you sure you want to let this guy take your junker for a ride?:ROFLJest:

Bert

He can ride but never drive it, wife doesn't even get to do that:happy175:

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

^^^4.25" and 32s. No cutting unibody or plastics. Level 1 to level 5 trails. Still had more left in it (level 5 was the highest at the park)

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question on lifts.
When you say 2.5" lift I assume that is over stock height? Measured wheel center to fender flare.
Mine is at 18.5" now, if 19.25" is stock, would your lift then be at 21.75"?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Quick question on lifts.
When you say 2.5" lift I assume that is over stock height? Measured wheel center to fender flare.
Mine is at 18.5" now, if 19.25" is stock, would your lift then be at 21.75"?

Yes when we say for example that OME will give you 2.5 inches that is from stock 19 inches, so yes you'd be at 21.5 and then add from there if using a clevis or top plate etc

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, 21.5" will be plenty.

No never enough
Back when I lifted mine they said 2.5 was as high as you could go. After lifting mine I thought it can go more and its still growing :happy175:
Of course a long ways from Troys yet but.......