ROTORS -- steering wheel now shimmies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eko

Reaction score
WHAT amount of steering wheel "shimmy" decides whether to replace or "machine" rotors? --- rotors were machined at 50k miles & now it's 67k. Tires were just rotated & Jeep "dealer" did NOT advise brake work!

AND, if it's time to "replace"--what do you think is the best BRAND/ type rotor for an '02 KJ sport w/ mostly Highway /pavement driving & occasional sand & rock off-road use? ---

What shop? ---- other than Jeep "dealer"?

thanx

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have zero shimmy when I brake, so I would say any at all is to much for me.

Everyone says Napa has good rotors, but I may go with brembos from tirerack.com.

I would put them on myself, its not a hard job other than the fact that they are usually rusted on. Some PB plaster usually makes quick work of that for me though. And a rubber mallet.

phxtoad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotors

The stock rotors aren't that good. I had them turned a few times before I figured it was time.

The late great 'LilRedLibby' recommended the Napa 'Upgraded' OEM replacements with their 'Upgraded' OEM pads. I had them installed by a the tire shop I've used in the past - a world of difference!

TL
________
FORD AXOD TRANSMISSION SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited:

dnm45227

Reaction score
very inexpensive and do it yourself fix. grab a beer or two, tear into it, them a beer or four after.

eko

Reaction score
I have zero shimmy when I brake, so I would say any at all is to much for me.

Everyone says Napa has good rotors, but I may go with brembos from tirerack.com.

I would put them on myself, its not a hard job other than the fact that they are usually rusted on. Some PB plaster usually makes quick work of that for me though. And a rubber mallet.
thanx! --- either brembos or napa will be installed "ASAP"

eko

Reaction score
The stock rotors aren't that good. I had them turned a few times before I figured it was time.

The late great 'LilRedLibby' recommended the Napa 'Upgraded' OEM replacements with their 'Upgraded' OEM pads. I had them installed by a the tire shop I've used in the past - a world of difference!

TL
thanx --- will do!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its really not worth the price they charge you. Its literally two bolts to get the calipers off(13mm??) and two to get the bracket that holds the calipers which lets you take the rotor off(21mm??). The only problem you may run into is a rusted on rotor, and like I said, PB blaster and a rubber mallet always brings them off for me.

dnm45227

Reaction score
Hi --- thanx --- however, brake work is not a DIY for me!

if you can take a tire off and remove a couple of bolts you can do it. if you are that nervous jack the front end up, take both tire off and use one as a template to put the other back together (but you won't need to).

reload40s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been doing my own brakes on cars and trucks for a long time. The first time it feels a little odd but it really is a "remove and replace" kind of operation. Each vehicle is a little different but the overall layout is the same for most brakes.
I like the whole rear disc setup especially, now I don't have to fight all of those stupid springs that were all over the drum brakes.

Brakes, so easy a caveman could do it!

You must be registered for see images