Roof Rack Tires: How to lift them on and off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NuggetHoarder

Reaction score
I'm getting prepared for a run down the 2,000+ miles of the Alcan Highway to Alaska in a few months. I need to have two full size spare tires. I'll have my factory full size spare tire underneath the KK and that's easy enough to work with, and I'll need to have a second spare on a roof rack.

For all of you who have a roof rack and keep a full size spare up there, how do you get it on and off with just one person?

A steel wheel weighs about 30 pounds and a tire about 50 to 55 pounds. I'm in my late 50's and I don't know if I have it in me to manhandle 85 pounds up and down from the roof by myself on the side of the road. To make matters worse, I plan on having 265/75's (32x10.50) tires and a 2" revtek lift, so it's heavier and higher than the factory setup.

I can certainly get the tire up onto the roof while in the comfortable confines of my garage where I have an overhead winch, but I'm worried about being out on the trail and having to wrestle a big tire all by myself.

Folks on the Alcan are said to be a friendly bunch, and I've heard from many people that, because of the dangers involved, the local custom there is that every car, truck, and RV in both directions will stop and help anyone that breaks down. Even with that though, I'm still a bit worried about getting into a bad situation by myself.

I think once I get the tire off the roof, I'll be fine. I can move the tire around on the ground fine. The problem is going to be getting the spare down off the roof and lifting the bad tire up onto the roof.

I'm possibly envisioning some kind of winch I could rig up to the roof rails and use some 2x4's leaning against the KK to act as a ramp, and then I could winch the tire down the ramp to the ground. Or, perhaps some other creative form of leverage to use to my advantage, but I just can't wrap my head around it.

Any ideas or tips for an old guy?

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
how about making a tire mount that uses your hitch reciever?

something like a bicycle carrier but it holds tires.. and maybe a Jerry can or two. or two tires ( get that factory spare out from under the vehicle and to where you can get to it in snow or water. )

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geek's idea sounds cool. Would also minimize the wind drag.
Simpler solution: could you manage it if you brought a ladder with you? A six foot aluminum ladder would fit just fine on top along with the tire, and might be easy enough to get down. Probably make a lot of noise up there...

Another solution: Put your luggage upstairs and keep at least one tire inside

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Getting it off is no problem at all really, slide it to the side and let her fall!
so you regearing as well with the 265-75s? If not have fun in the mountains :happy175:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roof Rack Tires: How to lift them on and off?

My suggestion:

You must be registered for see images

But seriously, I would make it a two person job. One person lifts it up and pushes it over the edge to the other side of the vehicle, and have someone waiting on that side (but out of the path of the falling tire) and stop it after its first bounce. Not something you'd want a young child to help you with, but a full grown adult. Probably want to test it out too to see how high the tire bounces from a 6' drop. I've dropped the stock tires and rim from a pretty good height and they're pretty easy to control.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no issue lifting my 90lbs+ wheel/tire combo on my roof rack before I got the tire carrier on my bumper and my back and left arm are major FUBAR'ed.

If your that worried put it inside the vehicle,that way it's clean at least if you need it.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no issue lifting my 90lbs+ wheel/tire combo on my roof rack before I got the tire carrier on my bumper and my back and left arm are major FUBAR'ed.

If your that worried put it inside the vehicle,that way it's clean at least if you need it.

Everyone knows you're a beefcake, tjkj... :badger_1:

NuggetHoarder

Reaction score
I'm going to have a flat hitch carrier cargo rack for carrying gear off the back so that location is out. I'm stuck with the roof as the location for the second spare.

I'm going to experiment with making some kind of winch that I can mount to the roof rack. I'm also going to make a ladder from 2x4's that I can take apart and store compactly. This would let me slide the tire up and down the ladder and protect my paint.

I agree with jnaut about the gym, and I am physically fit, but old age does take it's toll and no gym can fix it. The fact is, old people just don't have the muscle recovery after short bursts of intense activity anymore. If I lift an 85 lb tire over my head, I'll be wiped out for 3 days. That's not about physical fitness, it's an age thing. Does that mean I need to stop 4 wheeling? I'm not ready to do that yet.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I know people that use a ratchet strap to get the tire/wheel back up into the roof rack... and I'd probably do what Mudd said about getting it down. Just let it drop.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with jnaut about the gym, and I am physically fit, but old age does take it's toll and no gym can fix it. The fact is, old people just don't have the muscle recovery after short bursts of intense activity anymore. If I lift an 85 lb tire over my head, I'll be wiped out for 3 days. That's not about physical fitness, it's an age thing. Does that mean I need to stop 4 wheeling? I'm not ready to do that yet.
I'd have to disagree on that.I know alot of 50+ poeple that could out perform myself at my peak with no issues.When I was in Okinawa my Gunny was 54 years old and mounted 54" tires by himself all the time,and that is 400lbs per wheel/tire combo.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hate to admit it :freak3:
but I am well past 50 and can still throw tire/wheels on my rack
just eat your Wheaties
Did it a few times of course the gutter on my garage shows how high I sit with one up there:happy175:

NuggetHoarder

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas.

I'm going to have a hitch cargo carrier that is 20x48. The best idea I've come up with so far is this:

To take the tire down, I'll start by taking everything off the hitch cargo carrier. Next, I'll tie a 20' piece of rope to the hitch. After that, I'll stand on the hitch carrier platform, unscrew the tire from the roof rack, and then tie the other end of the rope around the tire. Next, I'll stand the tire up and roll it off the roof towards the shoulder. The furthest it can run is 20' because of the rope. After that, I can change the tire as usual.

Once the tire change is complete, I'll take everything that had been on the hitch cargo carrier (a cooler and a couple of tote boxes) and cram those items into the inside of the liberty somehow, and put any items I can up on the roof rack and secure. Then I'll take the flat spare tire and put it on the hitch cargo carrier and secure that. The tire will stick out the back by about 10" but it's only until I get to a tire store. Once I get the tire repaired, I can get the tire store to help me hoist it up on the roof again.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
since youre using the carrier.. how about getting one of those hitch extensions and have a tire carrier fabbed to that. then insert the hitch rack go into that?

NuggetHoarder

Reaction score
since youre using the carrier.. how about getting one of those hitch extensions and have a tire carrier fabbed to that. then insert the hitch rack go into that?

That's a good idea, but my hitch carrier folds up. It would interfere with a rear mounted spare in the folded up position.