Roof rack for KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking around for a flat roof rack system for the kj. Unfortunately all the kj specific ones seem to be no longer made. Has any one made one that can share some tips and tricks? I am thinking about removing the OEM roof rack bars and making a custom rack for my jeep. Thanks

soewhatman

Reaction score
I installed a Front Runner roof rack on mine. They used to make a kit for the KJ Liberty, but it is no longer available. I was able to find the parts list from the original kit, and Front Runner sold me all of the bits ala-cart to put it together. Installation involved removing the existing rack and rails, and installing new Front Runner T-track in it's place. I drilled and installed a few extra nut inserts to make it more secure.

soewhatman

Reaction score
Do you happen to still have the parts list ?

Parts I ordered as follows:

1 each:

2 each:

1 each:

1 each:

I don't think all of the components are on their web store, you might need to communicate with them directly to get it sorted.

The roof the KJ liberty tapers some in width from front to back. The 1255mm wide tray overhangs a bit at the rear. It works well for me, as I put an awning on one side. If you wanted the tray to be more tucked in on the roof I would go with an 1165mm wide tray.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking around for a flat roof rack system for the kj. Unfortunately all the kj specific ones seem to be no longer made. Has any one made one that can share some tips and tricks? I am thinking about removing the OEM roof rack bars and making a custom rack for my jeep. Thanks
we bought the Rola roof rack off eTrailer, put it on these homemade rails:

saintnsinner

Reaction score

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 24

saintnsinner

Reaction score
I came across these 4’ lengths of 4”x1.5” aluminum tubing. Drilled 1/4” holes that lined up with the the holes in the existing rails and used 1/4” eyebolts. This gave me attachment points to secure the loads I was carring

squatch

Reaction score
I used cross bars off Nissan pathfinder just had to shorten them

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Installed German made crossbars on mine via Amazon. (listed as KJ specific by their algo) Fits like OEM, then added a cheapo Amazon basket. All said and done spent 240$ and then hauled a bunch of gear on it for a few weeks afterwards.

dchadjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about doing something DIY with aluminum slotted rails, sort of like a Front Runner rack. Some good ideas and parts etc on this YouTube video:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Bennett316

Reaction score
The only people I can think of that would have a flat one it Rocky Road Outfitters their adventure rack. I had one on my 02 and really liked it

soewhatman

Reaction score
The only people I can think of that would have a flat one it Rocky Road Outfitters their adventure rack. I had one on my 02 and really liked it
I thought about doing something DIY with aluminum slotted rails, sort of like a Front Runner rack. Some good ideas and parts etc on this YouTube video:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I work with 80/20 slotted aluminum a fair amount in my workshop, and considered designing/building one from it. By the time I calculated materials cost for extrusions and hardware I wasn't saving a huge amount over the Front Runner rack, but I was saving a huge amount of time figuring mounts out and fabricating the rack. The Front Runner also comes with the advantage of a bunch of pre-made rails, mounts, etc. as well as the flexibility of t-tracks everywhere to fab up your own equipment mounts, which I have done. I think the curved shape and eased edges on the extrusions helps with wind noise some as well, as I have been pleasantly surprised that the rack isn't any louder than my tires at highway speed. The Front Runner rack is also very stout, which I like. One rail can take all of my weight with minimal deflection, and spread across two rails there is really no deflection. To get equivalent strength from 80/20 t-slot you would need to use one of the larger extrusion profiles or a double width, increasing cost and weight. Basically paying money for a solution with the Front Runner rack, but a solution that is designed and engineered to work well.

AKingabovemen

Reaction score
Rocky road outfitters makes steel roof rails, cross arms. And a safari basket set up all for the kj. All solid enough to hold up a rooftop tent. I just ordered them for my 06 Jeep Liberty renegade. Everything bolts right in to the factory holes.

AKingabovemen

Reaction score

Liberty For All

Reaction score
I have a 2005. I installed Rocky Road Outfitters steel roof rack which bolted on the roof with existing bolts. I did this last year so still making them.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
When it comes to racks, don't spend hours finding KJ specific ones- it is a waste of time. Racks that fit crossbarred Xterras and full cab Tacomas will fit too. Ignore brand names and use a tape measure to determine what is right for you. Also keep in mind that the KJ is in the "prone to rollover" range of SUVs due to the narrow wheel base and mushy OE suspension. (Which is just another reason things like roof top tents are a bad idea)

A few things to remember:

The OE rails are rated to a max of 150lbs for a reason (Yes it will hold more, but this increases your rollover risk)
Most crossbars are within that weight limit too, but you have to subtract the weight of the crossbars from that.
Same with a rack or basket, that weight has to come off the max total too.
If you put stuff on the roof, are you willing to cope with the other issues this creates? (Flat racks are notoriously noisy for example)

RRO doesn't have the best reputation anywhere and yet charges Premium prices.

My advice is to be honest with yourself. Are you going for "the style" or have a need to carry gear on the roof?
As a final thought my "cheapest of Amazon special" did just fine loaded down in pretty rugged conditions and provided me with the extra storage I needed
whilst making the wife happy with what I call "instagram looks".

Now if she'd just quit making me wash the mud and dust off so often...

AKingabovemen

Reaction score
I have a 2005. I installed Rocky Road Outfitters steel roof rack which bolted on the roof with existing bolts. I did this last year so still making them.
Any issues with these rails? I’m looking at getting them sent soon so I’m curious if they bolt straight on. Or if any adjustments were made.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Any issues with these rails? I’m looking at getting them sent soon so I’m curious if they bolt straight on. Or if any adjustments were made.
I have read numerous reviews of bad fitment and serious quality control issues in addition to the “paid in full and never received “ stuff for RRO. I’d avoid them.

the claims they make about stronger, heavier rails doesn’t jive. The weight limit is imposed the the actual body of the vehicle i.e the sheet metal construction of your Jeep’s roof.

my Amazon cheapo stuff carried a 45lb ARB double swag, 40L of fuel of fuel, and two 20L water jugs, plus a Roadhouse tarp, a shovel and an axe without issue on and off road. ( I’ll let you calculate the weight for training purposes…)

AKingabovemen

Reaction score
I have read numerous reviews of bad fitment and serious quality control issues in addition to the “paid in full and never received “ stuff for RRO. I’d avoid them.

the claims they make about stronger, heavier rails doesn’t jive. The weight limit is imposed the the actual body of the vehicle i.e the sheet metal construction of your Jeep’s roof.

my Amazon cheapo stuff carried a 45lb ARB double swag, 40L of fuel of fuel, and two 20L water jugs, plus a Roadhouse tarp, a shovel and an axe without issue on and off road. ( I’ll let you calculate the weight for training purposes…)
What did u go with for rails? I’d like to get something a lot more heavy duty to hold all our gear. I.e an awning, cooler, dry storage boxes etc. but something I could hold a tent up with later on down the road.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.