Roof rack for KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
for my purposes I bought on sale, these:

I bought a scratch and dent/open box of this basket:
A note on the cross bars- fitment is a little tricky! The instructions are in German. Takes a second to figure them out. There are holes in the OE rails that must be used as alignment marks for the rails.

I chose this rack as it is strong but lightweight and easily removed in winter so I’m not hauling a big pile of snow around. Also it doesn’t block my sun roof. They have longer sizes and/or an extra center assembly to make it longer if need be. I coated it with textured Herculiner to match my Bert. You can see it in action in my trip report elsewhere on this forum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 23

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Any issues with these rails? I’m looking at getting them sent soon so I’m curious if they bolt straight on. Or if any adjustments were made.
See above posts.

you can buy a pipe bending tool and a 120v welder at harbor freight and fab your own for far less than RRO charges and still have money left for a very long night at the pub afterwords including cab fare home!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What did u go with for rails? I’d like to get something a lot more heavy duty to hold all our gear. I.e an awning, cooler, dry storage boxes etc. but something I could hold a tent up with later on down the road.
Have a reputable welder / fab shop build one
Rock Lizard had made the best ones out there for a KJ , I had both of his style and were strong and well built

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Have a reputable welder / fab shop build one
Rock Lizard had made the best ones out there for a KJ , I had both of his style and were strong and well built
I’m late to the game but I’d buy used rock lizard if I could find any.

wonder if he’d sell me copies of the blueprints to fab my own…?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m late to the game but I’d buy used rock lizard if I could find any.

wonder if he’d sell me copies of the blueprints to fab my own…?
No he will not, if he did I would already own the plans for his bumpers/roof rack. rock rails etc I tried years ago when he could make them anymore

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
OME springs plus OME or Bilstein shocks gets you to 2.5”. Add a clevis lift in front and an extra isolator in back and you will be at 3”. Get teraflex extended bump stops for the front. Recommended JBA upper control arms at 3” to he able to align the Jeep properly. See AllJ’s website (boulderbars.com) or keep reading here on this forum for the part numbers needed.

AKingabovemen

Reaction score
OME springs plus OME or Bilstein shocks gets you to 2.5”. Add a clevis lift in front and an extra isolator in back and you will be at 3”. Get teraflex extended bump stops for the front. Recommended JBA upper control arms at 3” to he able to align the Jeep properly. See AllJ’s website (boulderbars.com) or keep reading here on this forum for the part numbers needed.
Awesome thanks

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note the website for JBAs is JBAoffroad.com these days.
The highly recommended UCAs w/ ball joints is
Thanks LabRat. I just replaced the old upper ball joints that had 120K miles on them in my JBA UCA’s. The way the UCA’s are built the ball joints are very easy to swap out. On the stock setup the whole UCA would need to be replaced, which would be a pain. Highly recommend JBAoffroad.

Mlfish

Reaction score
I am looking around for a flat roof rack system for the kj. Unfortunately all the kj specific ones seem to be no longer made. Has any one made one that can share some tips and tricks? I am thinking about removing the OEM roof rack bars and making a custom rack for my jeep. Thanks
I bought universal cross Bars from Harbour Freight for less than $60. I didn't want to pay a lot and got tired of checking local junk yards.
I found they have a lot of quality accessories for a decent price. Like a 12 inch diamond plate step, I'm short so it's great for reaching the roof over the spare.

KJManiacz

Reaction score
I bought a pioneer platform from rhino rack for mine along with their "aero" crossbars. Super easy and was exactly what I was looking for. They have so many accessories you can buy for them as well. I wanted a flat top because I want to be able to tie down kayaks on top without using j hooks that stick up or id have to fold like I have on past vehicles. Also I can throw my ice fishing tent bag on top and tie that down without having to fir it in a "Basket style" which really limits on the size of things you can haul. I still am waiting for my steel side rails to show up from rocky road but they are 14 weeks out on orders at the moment. Rhino rack is super quality stuff in my experience and the new pioneer platforms can't be beat.

Attachments

• IMG_0842.JPG
    IMG_0842.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0843.JPG
    IMG_0843.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0845.JPG
    IMG_0845.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 23

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I bought a pioneer platform from rhino rack for mine along with their "aero" crossbars. Super easy and was exactly what I was looking for. They have so many accessories you can buy for them as well. I wanted a flat top because I want to be able to tie down kayaks on top without using j hooks that stick up or id have to fold like I have on past vehicles. Also I can throw my ice fishing tent bag on top and tie that down without having to fir it in a "Basket style" which really limits on the size of things you can haul. I still am waiting for my steel side rails to show up from rocky road but they are 14 weeks out on orders at the moment. Rhino rack is super quality stuff in my experience and the new pioneer platforms can't be beat.
Just curious, how’s the noise on that while at highway speed with no load on it?

KJManiacz

Reaction score
Just curious, how’s the noise on that while at highway speed with no load on it?
I've been on the highway only twice since I installed it this week. I was shocked the first time because I heard absolutely nothing! Second ride was yesterday and it was really windy outside so it was hard to tell if I was hearing wind hit the whole car or just the rack. Today is a better day and I'll be driving it on the highway again so I'll report back if I hear any noise. Drastically quieter than roof rack systems I've had on past vehicles for sure.