Cargo Baskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Photos Please!

Rola is in!! Came in yesterday actually. 5 days ahead of expected delivery.
Bjorn, where is the pics of your new Rola? I guess I missed this thread!
I used the Jeep OEM Cross Bars and for those that remember, I sprayed the Rola basket well with 3 coats of Tremclad, and 3 clear coats. When I assembled the two half's of the Rola I used Silicone to prevent water from entering the tubes. All screws were also siliconed as well. It should be noted that no water got inside/ stayed dry even with all the rain here. I did removed it it last fall so it would not sit outside all winter, and I did have to paint one of the brackets, as it was rusting.
The Rola is handy for extra camping stuff & weekend trips.
You must be registered for see images attach

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul, do you have a post on here somewhere giving more detail on how you put your crossbars together? I've been toying with the idea of doing it but haven't decided on a good\clean method.

Thanks!

Dirt simple...assuming you don't want to remove them all the time (altho I can take mine off in about five minutes if need be.) Plus for me I wanted low profile without spending a few hundred bucks, and this did it.

First I cut two 46" long 3/4" dia. lengths of black pipe (about 1" o.d.) and deburred the ends. If you want longer then cut the length you want. Predrill thru the Jeep top rails (bottom hole was not drilled on our 2007, but yours may be different). Remember to stick a block under the rail so you don't ding the roof. Note that crossrail spacing (front to back) will be about 30" apart when mounted if using factory rail holes.

Set the front cross rail on the Jeep rails, center left to right, and mark the hole locations. You can also measure between hole centers (rail to rail) then center the marks on the pipe cross rail. The Back cross rail has a narrower hole spacing, so measure (or set in place and mark). Drill straight thru each pipe rail for bolt size (drill press works great)...remember to drill cross rail holes in the same plane (not twisted). Drill slightly oversized holes thru the pipe rails for some clearance for your bolt size. I used 1/4" dia. x 2.5" lg black carriage head style bolts...didn't want too much sticking below the Jeep rail and the round head sheds water.

Grind out a little hollow on the bottom of each cross rail where the thru hole is...just enough to create a "seat" so the cross rail sits down with more contact to the Jeep rail. Lightly sand and paint each rail (I used Rustoleum Hammered.)

Mount each rail, but add a garden hose washer (or something like it) between the cross rail and Jeep rail. Looks good and keeps the squeaks to a minimum by adding a little cushioning. I put the nuts on the bottom, but you could use Cap nuts for a more finished look. Install black chair leg caps to the cross rail pipe ends (Home Depot has them...just get the right size.) The Rola Basket will clamp just fine even though the spacing is off about 1/4" from their recommended spacing, but doesn't matter.

Here are a couple of pictures of the finished rails. Two are before I added the washers between rails.

Attachments

• 2007 Jeep KJ 07.jpg
    2007 Jeep KJ 07.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Jeep KJ 01 (2).jpg
    Jeep KJ 01 (2).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 2007 Jeep KJ 08.jpg
    2007 Jeep KJ 08.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the cleanest, nicest set of homemade roof rack bars
I've seen so far.
Looks really good.

Thanks...necessity is the mother of all invention. Rola arrived and I realized I needed crossbars THAT DAY! (Not good planning on my part, but using the listed spec's thought I might be able to clamp the basket right to the Jeep rails...not.) Had the stuff in my shop so spent an hour and ginned them up. Took a long road trip with gear (bought the Platypus bag for it) and the rig didn't peel off, so figure they're good.

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
paul:

curiousity question. why can't the rack just sit on the oem rails directly? I know the rack's included clamps would be useless, but couldn't something else be done then? it looks like the outside of the rack would overhang the rails just enough.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
paul:

curiousity question. why can't the rack just sit on the oem rails directly? I know the rack's included clamps would be useless, but couldn't something else be done then? it looks like the outside of the rack would overhang the rails just enough.

My plan was to do exactly that...the Rola width spec indicated this might work, then I'd use decent looking clamps right to the rails. But two things derailed that idea (no pun intended): 1) the dimensions given were the overall size, which on the Rola is at the top...the bottom width is narrower. And, 2) the rear part of the factory rails come in far enough to clamp the basket to, but widen at the front by about 2 inches, meaning the Rola front would be hanging in space. If your basket is wider then you could clamp straight to the factory rails using store bought hose clamps or U-bolts.

Something else to consider: Using rails actually helps spread the load better to the roof rails and front to back by tying everything together, so better to have them versus not.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got it.

like you I want the profile as low as possible. was considering talking to a guy who can fab stuff (and owes me a favor) to make me a set of cross rails that bolt in where the factory rails go. but instead of being longitudinal they'd be transverse across the roof. then use the clamps supplied with the rack. I guess I could have him run a set of bars front and back to make it into one huge square. I fear the strength of the stock rails as my plan is to put the spare up on the rack and add some lights to start with (both front and rear) and use the remaining space to store various kit on an as-needed basis... most likely my luggage for when I go on multi-day track events as I'd want to keep all my spares and tools secure inside.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on how much custom work you want to do. The Jeep rails supposedly can carry 150#'s. I get a little creak but haven't had anything peel off or loosen up. Doubtful Jeep would make something so customer accessible weak to the point it became dangerous to anyone following on the road. Just don't do this:

Attachments

• Plywood.jpg
    Plywood.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 31

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea. see if the stock rails are limited to 150#
rack: 40#
extension: 20#
spare tire: 50# ?
luggage: 30# (includes things like my laptop, tablet for tuning, power bricks for said gopro cameras and all their bits, etc.)
lighting: 5# (no idea really. just tossing a # out there for say 4 front 3 rear lights on the rack.)

that's 145# right there. what are your cross bars? 5# total maybe? I'd basically be on the limit.

I'm strongly considering the RRO roof rails, but i've seen too many pictures where the fitment isn't perfect... and I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea. see if the stock rails are limited to 150#
rack: 40#
extension: 20#
spare tire: 50# ?
luggage: 30# (includes things like my laptop, tablet for tuning, power bricks for said gopro cameras and all their bits, etc.)
lighting: 5# (no idea really. just tossing a # out there for say 4 front 3 rear lights on the rack.)

that's 145# right there. what are your cross bars? 5# total maybe? I'd basically be on the limit.

I'm strongly considering the RRO roof rails, but i've seen too many pictures where the fitment isn't perfect... and I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Yeah, mine weigh about 8#'s total, and the rack is 40#'s. Aluminum aftermarket rails would weigh less tho.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, aluminum cross rails is pinching pennies when I need dollars.

I need to work this through a bit. plus I just saw another interesting idea someone did... welded a 2nd receiver toward the driver's side on their hitch to mount the spare. if they make a spare tire receiver bracket that I could unpin and lower out of the way to use the hatch still I might go that route. that'll negate the need for the basket to carry so much weight (the spare is the elephant in that room after all.)

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, aluminum cross rails is pinching pennies when I need dollars.

I need to work this through a bit. plus I just saw another interesting idea someone did... welded a 2nd receiver toward the driver's side on their hitch to mount the spare. if they make a spare tire receiver bracket that I could unpin and lower out of the way to use the hatch still I might go that route. that'll negate the need for the basket to carry so much weight (the spare is the elephant in that room after all.)

Very true...and decent bought rails can be pricey for what they do. I like the hitch mounted spare rack idea...also keeps the overall center of gravity lower, which isn't a problem on the trail but great for on the road. Be nice if it was like some of the aftermarket bumpers that have an integrated swing-away spare mount.

Hey, we bought the Rola Platypus basket bag...very cool addition for keeping gear dry and in place.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm liking the idea of an off-center hitch mounted spare that drops down more and more as a near permanent solution/replacement for the door-mounted spare.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Detours has a hitch mounted spare tire carrier and gas can holder that swings out...........
Just sayin' there are ones out there
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea but I need to off-set it since I need the spare out of the way when I tow the car trailer, and I don't want the draw bar to stick out any farther than it currently does, due to control and stability issues.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do that for the most part. but I'm tired of having to unbolt the spare and its bracket from the door every time. plus I invariably forget to toss the jeep spare back in the jeep after I drop the trailer at the track and head to my hotel.

Latest posts

Members online