Rock rails: primer/paint choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've had to completely refinish my rock rails after every winter. First time I used Rustoleum primer and then VHT chassis paint, flaked off (but it was cold when I did it). Last summer I sanded the flaky rust off, used Rustoleum rusty metal primer and then brushed on Rustoleum hammered paint. The brace sections of the rock rails are completely rusted. I blast them off once a week in the winter. Looks like the rust is coming from the outside (not from under the paint usually). The tops too have numerous rust spots too. Is this a normal? Has anyone found something that can handle winters?

I thought about POR15'ing them but I thought that would be a waste since they'll get scrapped up and if this is going to be an annual affair, then wouldn't be worth the cost.

I'm thinking about bedlining them. I would think that would handle the winter stuff better and wouldn't be any harder to touch up after off roading.

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same place, HJ. Last year I primered/painted them when still on the Jeep, but this year I think I need to take them off, sand off the rust, then paint/coat with...?

I was going to go the POR15 route unless there's a better idea out there. Seems there must be a very hard coating that can go over the paint/POR15 to prevent chips and scrapes from going all the way to the steel.

'Course, Rustoleum Hammered Black may be the right solution at the end of the day :happy175:

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I have some huge gouges in mine. Going to just dremel wire brush the bad areas then hammered black the whole bottom while on the jeep. I'm the only one who sees under there anyhow.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think POR15 is going to help, since the rust is coming from the outside. I guess I just need a harder coating.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rustoleum hammertone , works great , covers well and easy to touch up. Better than any bedliner, etc for something that will get scratched sooner or later

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's what I used and it just got eaten alive in the winter. What did Jeep use on the frame? Whatever they did works great. Everything around the rock rail looks perfect.

JavelinAMX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nason epoxy primer is awesome stuff, but you need a spray gun, then coat with whatever you want afterwards.

I will get the numbers of the product later.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nason epoxy primer is awesome stuff, but you need a spray gun, then coat with whatever you want afterwards.

I will get the numbers of the product later.

That is what I was going to suggest... My dad used to use spray on epoxy paint/primer on car frames. Applied properly, that stuff is SOLID.. tough as a rock.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Been working the past few evenings on them. Ended up doing a coat of Rustoleum rusty metal primer, then a coat of primer/sealer and then Herculiner brushed on. Seems pretty thick. They recommend 2 coats of it, I have a quart of it so I'll have lots left over. Might do 3-4 coats. We will see.
I'm also thinking of getting rubber strips to put along each side along the pinch seam to form a gasket so there's no metal on metal contact.

JavelinAMX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know im super late getting this info out but the numbers for the nason Ful-Poxy epoxy primer are

491-16 for gray primer and
483-19 for the catalyst

awesome stuff for anyone in the future using a spray gun and looking for a good product to use.