Roadtrip prep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildebeest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on driving the Trans-Labrador highway this summer, travelling through Newfoundland as well. A large portion of the trip will be in some very remote areas with up to 400km/246mi between services.

Wondering what peoples thoughts are on vehicle prep and any spares to carry?

I've thus far changed all fluids, upper/lower rad hoses, thermostat, air filter, plugs, belt/tensioner. I still need to change the transmission filter.

I'm considering changing the u-joints and water pump for piece of mind... yay/nay?

Brian
'04 3.7L 96000km (59000mi)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carry the small,easy to replace stuff like a extra serp belt,tensioner,upper/lower radiator hoses,radiator cap,RTV,and such.Also carry spare coolant,oil,AFT+4,and gear oil.You can always carry spare u-joints and the waterpump is your choice.Also have some tools handy to replace all of the above which is not alot.

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All fluids like stated above. Fuel if you have somewhere to keep it. I also make sure I have enough stuff in the vehicle to keep myself going in case of a major breakdown in a remote area. After you do your services make sure you put enough miles on to check everything before heading out on a trip. I hate doing a repair then immediately having to take a trip. I like to drive local for a few days that way if something were to go wrong after the repair it would have by then.

Paul M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fix-a-flat or a mini portable compressor and tire plug kit (just in case of two flats). Portable jumper for those times when the battery decides to quit. 5 gallon container of water.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cell phone food water blanket check-in plan with someone who will know your route.

SabaII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cell phone food water blanket check-in plan with someone who will know your route.

Damn I forgot the most important one. The check in plan! Whenever I am out ice fishing someone knows where and how long I will be out. A lot of times you may not have good cell reception thats why it is important for someone to know a time frame that way they know when to come looking.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I see you have an '04.
How old is your battery?
If in doubt, replace it.

Whenever we do a major road trip or major off road excursion I make sure I carry all the aforementioned parts as well as an extra coil pack and a couple of spark plugs with us in the heep.

Also extra fuel. A minimum of 53 litres on the roof basket.
This summer for our main off road trip we'll have 106 litres of premium with us.

Last edited:

seabass1858

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got done a 3300 mile round trip road trip and carried all the above but I must add to carry an air compressor and tire plug kit as well. No matter how thick your tires are there is always that one screw that could fall off a contractors truck and end up in your tire.

bjeepin

Reaction score
^^ yes plugs i ran over a BIG screw the other day...plugs are a must!