Right to repair laws in works.!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the problem is, it isnt R&D, and you own the vehicle. You have the right to make a decision on where and how you want to have the vehicle fixed.

I don't like when specific components are "locked out" without a dealer only device.

What they will do to get around this is offer the "keys" to components and systems and make them very expensive so mom and pop shops and DIYer's wont want to pay to play.

In the end, it will come down to what's good business vs. poor business.

Think of it like the technology market (which is quickly intersecting with the auto business, even if some car manufacturers haven't figured it out) a la Apple's iPhone. Everyone loves them an iPhone, everyone wants them an iPhone. Then they buy them an iPhone. Then they're pissed about their iPhone.

As a result, a lot of new smart phone competition has sprung up. The bottom line is, if you lock your shit out, people will leave. This doesn't require a law scribed by 535 useless wankers living in a Swamp who think they are In Control of Everything(tm). hump.gif

Now everyone knows what I think of our legislators.

Midgear

Reaction score
God I love a good argument.. not too violent, not to boring.. but fully entertaining.

allows for the in-experianced to soak up some knowledge too.. like myself.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the end, it will come down to what's good business vs. poor business.

Think of it like the technology market (which is quickly intersecting with the auto business, even if some car manufacturers haven't figured it out) a la Apple's iPhone. Everyone loves them an iPhone, everyone wants them an iPhone. Then they buy them an iPhone. Then they're pissed about their iPhone.

As a result, a lot of new smart phone competition has sprung up. The bottom line is, if you lock your shit out, people will leave. This doesn't require a law scribed by 535 useless wankers living in a Swamp who think they are In Control of Everything(tm). hump.gif

Now everyone knows what I think of our legislators.
If they are forced to let out there programs for free what is going to happen is Ford,GM,and Chrysler will go bye-bye and all the foreign car company's will pull out of the US and no one will pop up due to not being able to make any money at all.Then we all are SOL since Ford,GM,and Chrysler will file bankruptcy and just die out and there programs will be gone forever screwing everyone as then they will not be liable to keep producing parts and stuff for the federally mandated 7 years after a vehicle or company is shut down.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are forced to let out there programs for free what is going to happen is Ford,GM,and Chrysler will go bye-bye and all the foreign car company's will pull out of the US and no one will pop up due to not being able to make any money at all.Then we all are SOL since Ford,GM,and Chrysler will file bankruptcy and just die out and there programs will be gone forever screwing everyone as then they will not be liable to keep producing parts and stuff for the federally mandated 7 years after a vehicle or company is shut down.

Good, then maybe we'll get some innovative and quality manufacturers to replace them. (sarcasm intended)

I seriously doubt that would cause them to go out of business. But, I could see a side-effect of prices going up on vehicles. Not like they (Ford, GM, Chrysler) haven't been using every excuse under the sun to raise their prices anyways.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good, then maybe we'll get some innovative and quality manufacturers to replace them. (sarcasm intended)

I seriously doubt that would cause them to go out of business. But, I could see a side-effect of prices going up on vehicles. Not like they (Ford, GM, Chrysler) haven't been using every excuse under the sun to raise their prices anyways.
Even with the sarcasm no one would start up a auto company since all there R&D would have to be free,that would mean that those new car prices would be well over what they are now,maybe 10-100 times more for any company to stay in business.

Oh and all automakers prices have risen,it's called inflation and federally mandated items like ESP,TPMS,and airbags.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's called open-source, and linux is doing just fine. so is firefox, which is probably the browser you are using.

this allows for greater innovation at a reduced cost, versus stagnant innovation at an increased cost. (much like our government.)

there are already several small start-ups trying to get in on the E-car scene, and that doesn't even count the already established Tesla Motors. i'm just sayin', it wouldn't preclude new builders from replacing the dinosaurs we have in detroit.

oh, and you forgot to mention the private jets that fly the execs all over the world, namely to congress, when they went with their hat in their hands trying to get bailout money. what a joke.

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been following this thread closely, as its a subject dear to my heart, good discussion. All you people have raised very valid points but one of the reasons I chose Chrysler was because it was by far and away one of the only companies that allow generic scan tools to mimic their own. They are alot more generous with their info than people give them credit for, giving out the info is good for business, in fact it might as it has done with me, bring more people in. ALso, I do not think that anybody will go out of business because of this, all car companies would have to do this as with OBD2

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Doubecardan, BMW, Volkswagen, M-B, and Toyota would not be hurting too badly if they pulled out of the US market.

So maybe this IS what we want (rotflmao)

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's called open-source, and linux is doing just fine. so is firefox, which is probably the browser you are using.

this allows for greater innovation at a reduced cost, versus stagnant innovation at an increased cost. (much like our government.)

there are already several small start-ups trying to get in on the E-car scene, and that doesn't even count the already established Tesla Motors. i'm just sayin', it wouldn't preclude new builders from replacing the dinosaurs we have in detroit.

oh, and you forgot to mention the private jets that fly the execs all over the world, namely to congress, when they went with their hat in their hands trying to get bailout money. what a joke.

I don't think comparing open source software to vehicle repair is apples to apples.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if this passes
can we get other trade secrets
I want the r/d for Mountain Dew,those Ba####d have been keeping the info of there product a secret, i demand it for free, and I demand access to all the equipment needed to make it and of course all the ingredients

also there is a pizza place down the street that I like, can I get there recipe for free too

then, I want the blue prints for fort Knox and area 51, I mean after all it's just paper

if you ask me, some things should be allowed to be left out of the reach to just anyone

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Guess you never kept up with the toyota recalls,there systems programming is such a closely guarded secret that they only had 1 computer in the whole US that could read there "black boxes",it took a presidential order to get 20 more in the US.If this law would actually come reality toyota would be the 1st automaker to disappear here in the US(not a bad thing in my opinion).Now every other automakers "black boxes",besides most foreign models like toyota,VW,and Mercedes,can be read at the accident site by police and those include Chrysler,Ford,and GM.

Automaker programs are completely different then free online programs for your PC which advertisers pay the bills for the free programs.Don't think you want the check engine light to turn on and the problems is that Netflix is running a new member special this week.Plus like I stated already some of those programs are your anti-theft stuff,don't want that type of stuff available for free over the web.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hence:
jnaut said:
This doesn't require a law scribed by 535 useless wankers living in a Swamp who think they are In Control of Everything(tm).

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Linux is doing fine. Just "fine". Linux is a starting point, not so much an ending point.

When you start passing laws demanding that your R&D be "open" to the world makes it very hard to start a serious company with a product that can compete.

Even linux based phones such as the Droid start with the open source, but their ending place is very proprietary.

The answer is not legislating companies into opening up their stuff. If it makes good business sense to open up their architectures, they'll do it.