Rid the under carriage mud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how does everyone remove the built up mud underneath??

I have skids and found that 70% of my mud is clumped up between the skid/vehicle under carriage. At first I was not paying attention to these *hidden* areas, only to find huge clumps of dried mud when I crawl under the Jeep days later. I have recently gone to a hand power wash center, but that doesn't give me the ability to do an under carriage wash. Some of the car washes that do the under carriage wash still doesn't push the clumped mud out located in the skid plate areas.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Do what I did. Get on your knees and have at it at the power wash! \:D/

You've even got lift, so it should be super easy for you! =D>

You'll never get rid of it all, I don't think. Last time I went was about a month ago, I'm still cleaning up mud. I just found some around the front diff.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The last time I went sluggin' through the mud, I parked over the a sprinlker system I put together, with a hose attachment and two circular sprinkler heads. Got 80%, the rest I was doing by hand.
Just park on the grass for awhile.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of bringing my drive up ramps to the powerwash and throwing on a pair of swim trunks.

So then I can just climb on under and wash to my hearts content.

Of course I have yet to do that. For now I just take advantage of every deep clean puddle I see and drive through it a couple times. The under carriage flush at car washes does nothing for me, it is meant to blow off road dust and minor mud accumulation.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I use my powerwasher, park on my side yard which usually needs the water anyways, and have at it. yeah theres mud on the grass, but so what. You might want to invest in a power washer of your own. I got a 1750psi electric one made by Husky at Home Depot for about $160 and some change almost 2 years ago. Have had a couple problems with the pressure hoses wearing out, but a quick call to their helpline and I had a new hose on its way to my house the next day, free of charge.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
I use my powerwasher, park on my side yard which usually needs the water anyways, and have at it. yeah theres mud on the grass, but so what. You might want to invest in a power washer of your own. I got a 1750psi electric one made by Husky at Home Depot for about $160 and some change almost 2 years ago. Have had a couple problems with the pressure hoses wearing out, but a quick call to their helpline and I had a new hose on its way to my house the next day, free of charge.

That sounds pretty awesome, Maybe Ill just buy one next month.

BTW, This one?
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn=165019

Got rave reviews.

2003KJ

Reaction score
yes sir, thats the one...and same price too (i knew it was in the $160's). I use mine all the time, washing the jeep, under the jeep, the house, driveway, patio, patio furniture, lawnmower, fence...everything. For an electric unit, its pretty damn powerful.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That brings up another question. As of a few minutes ago I was wondering and trying to find out...

What PSI do most 25 cent car washes run at?

also

At what PSI is it no longer safe to spray your paint?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
threadjacked.gif

Did you ask first!! J/K. Good question though. I have found many different washes had different pressures. I presumably like the power wash just north of 15mile and Harper (if you go that way). It has very good pressure and it gives you a lot of time for your money.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All Hail Baywash!!!!

(BTW: What else is at 15 and Harper? I don't recall ever going in that direction...ever)

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All Hail Baywash!!!!

(BTW: What else is at 15 and Harper? I don't recall ever going in that direction...ever)

That's because its in the Subburbs!! J/K :-#

I've been to the Baywash one!! haha....

2003KJ

Reaction score
just to get the thread somewhat back on track here, As long as you dont stand an inch away (atleast for extended periods of time) from your paint you'll be fine. The powerwasher I have does an excellent job pf washing the jeep (plus it gets the white letters on my tires bleach white again).

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use any special mix while spraying down the Jeep and/or trying to rid the hardened Mud? Again, the power washers have some good pressure where I go. However, I fail to get the mud clumped up under the skids.

Could this cause any issues with the under carriage if I just leave it?

2003KJ

Reaction score
With that pressure washer, you can put your favorite cleaning solution into the soultion tank. Then you turn the end of the wand to the left all the way, and its a very low pressure stream of water mixed with your soultion in the tank (probably about 90% soultion 10% water). Spray it all over the underneath of the Jeep, then turn the end of the wand back to the right to the pressure side, and blast it all away.

I usually use greased lightning or simple green...which ever i have laying around my garage.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A sure fire way to get the mud off at the quarter wash is to always use the presoak solution first, it makes the mud slide right off after that.