Required Fluid Types

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Byron

Reaction score
I’m changing rear differential fluid valvoline full synthetic with limited slip 75-140 weight ok to use in a 2006?

also changing fluid in transfer case with ATV+4. Thanks for all the advice on here, because as luck would have it I stripped the fill plug. So I’m able to drive it since I didn’t drain it yet ;)

I’ll need to get a replacement before I start drilling it out. Unless someone has a trick to get the old one out?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
ATF+4 for transfer case yes. Stripped not fun, there must be an easy out solution or take an old Allen socket & weld it on there to remove.
IMHO - Dino gear lube coats the gears & protects better, than a synthetic.
Anyone who has used Lucas Dino, knows how well it sticks to the gears.
That being said, I have come up with my own mix with freezer tested results for the KJ rear diff.
40% syn & 60% dino flows great, and sticks like crazy, even in super freezing temps.
You must be registered for see images attach

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The topic of what fluids to use has been flogged to death but I need to flog it back to life again.

I have for some time now avoided the Jeep Dealers here because they have always been totally useless...more so now that the local Dealership has shut down and the new Jeep/Fiat franchise is even worse!

Engine oil for my 2002 Export CRD has never been a problem...I have frequently changed the oil with a fully synthetic 10w40 for this hot climate.

Front and rear diffs I use Dino oil with the Friction Modifier additive for the rear diff as is required for Trac Loc.

Brake Fluid and Power Steering fluid is no problem.

I have not replaced the Transfer Case oil myself and likewise my manual 5 speed gearbox oil...these I presume have been replaced in the past by the Dealers at Service time.

I have just purchased Mopar ATF +4 for the transfer case...no problem.

The manual gearbox has always been a question mark.
I have seen reports that it is filled for life, to use MS-9224 which nobody here in SA has heard of or to use ATF +4.

The Jeep Dealer that I bought the Mopar ATF +4 insists that ATF +4 is also used for the manual gearbox and that is what they use on manual Jeeps brought into them for a service.

So can I use ATF +4 in my manual gearbox?o_O

I cannot afford to destroy the gearbox on this beloved old Jeep of mine...has to last me a few more years!

It is no use for you guys to give me links to great makes of gearbox oil as we cannot get those products here in South Africa!:eek:

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
good luck.
I suppose if you really need to I'm sure one of us here would be willing to ship what you need over to SA.
I would volunteer, Bill. You've always been one of the very most helpful people here. It would be a privilege to return the favor.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have had that link for some time..very good but it tells me to use MS-9224 which the Dealers do not have and who insist on me using ATF +4.

I will explore the local Auto Spare shops and see if I can find any brand of MS-9224.:confused:

Can you get Ravenol Synchromesh?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you get Ravenol Synchromesh?

We do not get Ravenol here in SA!

I have drawn up a list of Manufactures who make comparable products and will try find them here in SA:

Valvoline, Royal Purple, Redline, PZ Synchro, Amsoil, Pennzoil, GM Syncronesh, Havoline.

I have a suspician that the Jeep Agents here in the smallish town I live in are lying to me....I am sure that the Agents in Johannesburg will have the Mopar product...I will make enquiries and either get my Brother who lives there to obtain some for me or I will drive there to visit family and buy the correct Mopar MS-9224!;)

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quaker state makes a compatible synchromesh too.

Yeah we do not get Quaker state here....used to get Royal Purple but that may have closed down.

So I went back to the Dealers and asked them to check if they do have 2 Quarts of MS-9224 oil as everything I have read states that ATF +4 is not good for the manual gearbox...in spite of what the head mechanic says!

Yes they do have it in 1 Quart bottles but I can only buy 12 of these bottles...not only the 2 that I need!:eek:

I give up on these so called Jeep Dealers here!:mad:

GitEmSteveDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah we do not get Quaker state here....used to get Royal Purple but that may have closed down.

So I went back to the Dealers and asked them to check if they do have 2 Quarts of MS-9224 oil as everything I have read states that ATF +4 is not good for the manual gearbox...in spite of what the head mechanic says!

Yes they do have it in 1 Quart bottles but I can only buy 12 of these bottles...not only the 2 that I need!:eek:

I give up on these so called Jeep Dealers here!:mad:

Buy the 12 and sell the others to other Jeep owners.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy the 12 and sell the others to other Jeep owners.

I should have bought 12 bottles when I picked up my new Jeep 18 years ago!

Yeah in this small town there are not too many KJs...also need to be manual models.

I will contact the Jeep Dealers in Johannesburg to see if they have two bottles for me and get my Brother to pick them up!;)

Ofelas

Reaction score
For '03 KJ 3.7l engine oil, what weights do non North American owners manuals recommend?

If someone from Europe/UK/Oz/SA etc could post a picture of the oil grade table in their '02 to '06 Owners Manual that would be appreciated.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Prof ^ Under Axle Differential Rear, notice they are mentioning to use Synthetic Gear Lube.
We recommend that you use DINO Gear lube. It protect the rear differential gears better.

Latest posts

Members online