Required Fluid Types

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STINGN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is for the 3.7l engine

ENGINE OIL: 5W-30 (5qts)

ENGINE OIL FILTER: Any filter that works for the 3.7l works fine
(change every 5,000-7,500 miles)

TRANSMISSION (Auto): ATF+4
42RLE (2003+) 4.1qts
45RFE (2002) 5qts

T-CASE: ATF+4
NV242: 3.4 pints
NV231: 3 pints

FRONT DIFFERENTIAL: 80W-90, 75W-90, 75W-140
(change every 12,000-15,000 miles)
(2.6 pints)

REAR DIFFERENTIAL: 80W-90, 75W-90, 75W-140
(change every 12,000-15,000 miles)
(4.3 pints)

POWER STEERING: ATF+4

BREAK FLUID: DOT-3
(fill to the level)

ENGINE COOLANT: HOAT (14 quarts)

what ever else i am missing add it, i think it would be nice to make it a sticky if someone wants to take the time to make one, and if i am totally overlooking it, then just point me to where it is and i will ask a mod to delete this post :)

http://www.amsoil.com/guides.aspx

http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:

CMCLEAN

Reaction score
AlexKJ, can you advise if it's O.K. to substitute the Mopar Steering Fluid with ATF+4 as I doubt if I can obtain it where I am.

Thanks

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AlexKJ, can you advise if it's O.K. to substitute the Mopar Steering Fluid with ATF+4 as I doubt if I can obtain it where I am.

Thanks

when I did my 02 P/S fluid a few months ago I went to the dealership to get mopar P/S fluid, they brought out the Mopar +4 P/S and I asked if the atf+4 was compatible with regular P/S fluid, the guy went away to ask, came back and told be to go to any parts store and buy Plain P/S fluid,

I went to advance auto and bought a gallon of Pyroil which says it mets chrysler spec 5931 for 16$ to do the flush
I think valvoline also meets the spec

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks
You can replace Mopar PS with ATF+4 only if you professionaly flush the PS system. You shouldn't mix up those fluids.

Cheers! :)

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have yet seen anyone or anyplace that would let you use schedule "B".
I really respect what you say in general, but I find that hard to believe. I know lots of people that don't meet the manual "requirements" to put you on the 3K schedule. No off-roading, no daily short trips, no towing, no taxi driving, no dusty conditions, etc..

And nobody is making you follow a certain schedule over another. If it is in the manaul that you can go 6K, then you can go 6K if you "meet the requirements." Who is making you follow a schedule? Jiffy Lube? Firestone? The dealer? I've never seen them make someone do the shorter schedule. The may suggest it to make more money, but not make

I don't know why you push the 3K change so much. That is so old school.

Last edited:

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
What is the correct fluid for the NSG370? The NV uses ATF, but the lube for the 6spd is listed as "Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant or equivlant meeting standard MS-9224." Jeep says it never needs replaced and doesnt list the capacity, either.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just wondering has anyone substituted full synthetic fluids for oem fluids?

don't know if it would realy make a difference , but I'm thinking of looking into Royal Purple . just asking :shrug:

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the correct fluid for the NSG370? The NV uses ATF, but the lube for the 6spd is listed as "Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant or equivlant meeting standard MS-9224." Jeep says it never needs replaced and doesnt list the capacity, either.

ms 9224 spec is syncromesch fluid

i have changed mine twice with penzoil syncromesh (i don't believe in lifetime fluids). it states right on the bottle ms9224.

takes around 2 quarts. i bought 3 just to be safe.

be sure to wipe the metal off the magnetic drain plug! mike

p.s. i see you live near cincinnati. i bought my syncromesch at autozone and pepboys in the cincy area.

Last edited:

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ms 9224 spec is syncromesch fluid

i have changed mine twice with penzoil syncromesh (i don't believe in lifetime fluids). it states right on the bottle ms9224.

takes around 2 quarts. i bought 3 just to be safe.

be sure to wipe the metal off the magnetic drain plug! mike

p.s. i see you live near cincinnati. i bought my syncromesch at autozone and pepboys in the cincy area.

I went through this with Dodge Neons. It will work with ATF-4 but will shift better with the synchromesh fluid. I read somewhere else that the synchromesh fluid is the preferred fill and was the factory fill, but when Diamler Chrysler was low on cash and pinching pennies, ATF-4 became the factory fill. When I drained ATF-4 from my 2002 ACR Neon and put the Pennzoil syncromesh fluid in, it made a big difference in shifting action.

Jeepkj

Reaction score
RP makes lots of fluids when i bought the jeep i bought it used and i changed everythign with RP and i noticed a mpg diffrence not much but as far as i see RP has better protection in it and clame to changed every 10K engine oil

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen some time ago (years ago) that 5w20 and 5w30 were ok to use in 3.7L. I been using 5W20. Though the cap says 5W30. So am I G2G? Or should I only use 5W30.

Latest posts

Members online