Replacing windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is an 05 and it also has glass with the PPG markings. My windshield also has a small gap between the top of the windshield and the roof. It doesn't leak so the actual seal must be against (flush) with the glass on the top.

Hyedipin, if your windshield needs to be replaced, the Insurance Company will not increase your rates. It is a comprehensive loss, and not an accident.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the problem is, the insurance company will not replace it as it is, since there is no real big crack, etc. on the glass.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was the size of an apple, I tell ya.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Tis full coverage, Comp is $550, Collision is $500. Michigan doesn't have any law that requires ins. comps. to replace windshields free or anything.

RamSport47

Reaction score
don't most dealers call a local glass company like Safelite to do thier replacements? I'm pretty sure ours does, although (knocks on wood), neither of us have needed new glass yet, and that Wrangler X windshield is like a wall.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't most dealers call a local glass company like Safelite to do thier replacements? I'm pretty sure ours does, although (knocks on wood), neither of us have needed new glass yet, and that Wrangler X windshield is like a wall.
I worked at a dealer and we did our own glass replacements,then again I worked in the bodyshop so I would say if the the dealer has a bodyshop then they will do the replacements in house.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dealer won't even fix the scratches, etc.. All they wanted to do is rob people when it's time for oil change or other "maintenance".
Also I asked them if they would detail/wash,etc..
`dHe said "we don't do that anymore, people think we gonna toothbrush the car, when they pay $100 for a wash" ......
You must be registered for see images

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe me, if meguire was making a toothpaste, he would be using it to detail his own teeth!!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn!, Me and my bad spelling of these weird products (famously caragar and meguire). It's like getting caught on camera with my bald spot showing.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Believe me, if meguire was making a toothpaste, he would be using it to detail his own teeth!!

I'll bet he uses a "clay bar" on his teeth too.

Dave

RamSport47

Reaction score
my dealer's pricing seems pretty good, plus, I can take my Liberty in anytime for a free car wash....every day if I want to.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM glass is made by PPG glass,when I replaced mine(from a hail stone going through it) I just got a PPG windshield for $200(it was '03 so the KJ was still new to aftermarket) instead of getting a PPG made one stamped with Chrysler markings which they wanted $1200 for(i even worked at the dang dealer to).Just watch out the windshield market got flooded awhile bad with super cheap china made glass that isn't worth snot.Make sure the replacement glass is stamped "solex" or "PPG".

Yes, by all means buy PPG and keep cracking your windshields, my stock will thank you. I love it when tornadoes and high wind rip up all glass skyscrapers.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my windshield replaced at the local Henderson glass shop. I've been putting it off for nearly 6 months now. However, they were running a special for $129.99 on Liberty windshields. Couldn't have been a better time. My insurance deductible is $250.00 and it wasn't worth the effort to try and pull insurance measures, I had the money to get it done "now".

This is the KJ's 4th windshield. Factory glass, crack, replacement, crack, replacement, crack, replacement.

1.) Construction Truck on I-96 while they enlarged the X-way a few years ago.

2.) Jeep Wrangler kicked up stone during Chicago Jeep Parade in December of 2005.

3.) Accelerating onto I-94 X-way caught a stone in late November 2006.

Sigh, I HATE Liberty windshields.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my windshield replaced at the local Henderson glass shop. I've been putting it off for nearly 6 months now. However, they were running a special for $129.99 on Liberty windshields. Couldn't have been a better time. My insurance deductible is $250.00 and it wasn't worth the effort to try and pull insurance measures, I had the money to get it done "now".

This is the KJ's 4th windshield. Factory glass, crack, replacement, crack, replacement, crack, replacement.

1.) Construction Truck on I-96 while they enlarged the X-way a few years ago.

2.) Jeep Wrangler kicked up stone during Chicago Jeep Parade in December of 2005.

3.) Accelerating onto I-94 X-way caught a stone in late November 2006.

Sigh, I HATE Liberty windshields.
You must be getting stuck with that cheap china glass.It took a softball size hail stone to go through my first windshield to crack it(actually it went completely through it) even many thrown rocks(some I could see they where that big) did not crack the OEM glass.My PPG replacement just finnally got a small chip in it from rather large(I saw it hit,about 1/2" in diameter) rock from a dump truck hauling gravel doing 80mph.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be getting stuck with that cheap china glass.It took a softball size hail stone to go through my first windshield to crack it(actually it went completely through it) even many thrown rocks(some I could see they where that big) did not crack the OEM glass.My PPG replacement just finnally got a small chip in it from rather large(I saw it hit,about 1/2" in diameter) rock from a dump truck hauling gravel doing 80mph.

The first two incidents occurred due to large rocks. The last one hit right at the bottom center of the glass and left a small chip/line. I let it go through the winter months and the cold weather alongside me turning the heater/defroster on/off in the Jeep caused it to spider out.
sad2.gif

Latest posts

Members online