Replacing windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of replacing the windshield. There are no cracks on it, but it is like a starfield. There are tiny chips everywhere, I just cannot believe there are so many. It looks very bad under direct sun while driving.

Also, I wanted to get the windshield portion tinted which was going to cost me some $$ around $60..

So I just saw the commercial for Safelite AutoGlass, and they do have the strip shaded windshield. I am guessing it is the exact same thing as far size.

The question is, has anyone ever dealt with Safelite?
They charge $237 including parts and labor, and they may charge $20 for modlings. I might claim insurance for this, but not sure how much it will increase my payments (or if mine is one of those $500 deductible). I will also check with stealership, how much they would charge for it.

What do you think?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't go through a dealer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Safrlite is a good company,$237 is a good price.Check with your insurance co,you may have a zero deductable for glass replacement(most do) and should not effect your rates since it is a safety issue.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't answer your Safelite question.

As to the glass, look on your insurance policy and see if it says "full glass coverage" under comprehensive coverage. That would be no deductable. It should be covered under your policy and won't affect your rates as it is not an accident. Also, if you have a "star" on the drivers side in the line of vision it shouldn't pass inspection.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I have no stars or daisies or huge webs, I just want to get rid of the starfield and also take this opportunity to get the stock "fading" tint at the top.
I am gonna have to talk to the autoglass place and tell them to write it in bad condition, I guess. Let me check my insurance, I wanted to pay as little as possible so it could be one of those $500 deductable policies. I can check my policy this weekend.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the tint at the top and I believe it is a Pilkington. I would not go with a dealer. My family has found a small operation here that we really enjoy and use every time. Incorrectly installed windshields can be VERY bad. We had a 94 Dodge that the windshield was installed wrong, water seeped in around the edges, and the guy we use now found rust spots along the edges.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have full glass coverage on mine, and when I got hit by a piece of construction debris, I got it replaced by a local glass company. I specifically asked for OEM glass, and ended up getting a replacement that did not have a tint strip, however it does have the "third visor" thing in the middle (bunch of little dots). If I did not have full glass coverage, I probably would have gone with aftermarket glass.

-Blu

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have full glass coverage on mine, and when I got hit by a piece of construction debris, I got it replaced by a local glass company. I specifically asked for OEM glass, and ended up getting a replacement that did not have a tint strip, however it does have the "third visor" thing in the middle (bunch of little dots). If I did not have full glass coverage, I probably would have gone with aftermarket glass.

-Blu
The OEM glass is made by PPG glass,when I replaced mine(from a hail stone going through it) I just got a PPG windshield for $200(it was '03 so the KJ was still new to aftermarket) instead of getting a PPG made one stamped with Chrysler markings which they wanted $1200 for(i even worked at the dang dealer to).Just watch out the windshield market got flooded awhile bad with super cheap china made glass that isn't worth snot.Make sure the replacement glass is stamped "solex" or "PPG".

dnm45227

Reaction score
our '02 needed replacing. i called state farm and was advised our glass deductable was $350. i called around and had the same company (at least that's what the guy told me) state farm contracts with and had them install it for $190.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta make a call to above people and ask for the brand they have in stock for KJ.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I wish I had full glass coverage. Thanks to this rock thrown by an 18-Wheeler... I have a nice chip in mine. :(

Rather I should say

I don't know if I have full glass coverage.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
This reminds me.. How about scratch coverage? My manager told me he has full scratch, dent, ding, bird poop coverage on his Lexus.. SO can I get all my scratches and swirls fixed up and waxed and have insurance pay for it!?!?

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '02 is currently on windshield #3. Good times.

I had safelite do both replacements (via my insurance) - cost me $50 each time (and both were within 45 days of each other - ugh)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '02 is currently on windshield #3. Good times.

I had safelite do both replacements (via my insurance) - cost me $50 each time (and both were within 45 days of each other - ugh)
Since 02, I assume you got the blue tint at the top?

I just talked to my broker, he said Allstate will send me to a place where I gotta go to get it fixed (probably for them to see if it needs replacing). Also the insurance broker's telling me I shouldn't even call allstate to ask them what to do with this.. He says I am covered with the glass, no deductible. But when I call and ask about this, what to do, and if I am covered, or if I replace and bill them, etc.. he says they will write down as "incident" and even that will be added to the record. Damn, I don't want them to increase my premium because of this. I hate insurance companies.

Last edited:

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since 02, I assume you got the blue tint at the top?.

yes - have the tint... also have it on the replacements. My ins. premiums were not affected by this.

One thing I did notice, which is truly irrelevant to everything, but I found to be interesting none the less, is that on later model KJs there is no rubber, ummm.... I don't know what to call it, so I will use the word "seal" - there is no rubber seal on the top of the windshield.

My '02 has a rubber seal between the top of the windshield and the roof of the car; later models do not there is a slight gap between the top of the windshield and the roof.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes - have the tint... also have it on the replacements. My ins. premiums were not affected by this.

One thing I did notice, which is truly irrelevant to everything, but I found to be interesting none the less, is that on later model KJs there is no rubber, ummm.... I don't know what to call it, so I will use the word "seal" - there is no rubber seal on the top of the windshield.

My '02 has a rubber seal between the top of the windshield and the roof of the car; later models do not there is a slight gap between the top of the windshield and the roof.

Yes, it is there like a crack. Sides might be a little different also?

Marlon!?!?! OUCH.. Are you paying liability only, maybe? What's that $550..