Replacing the Shocks/Struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GhstRider

Reaction score
I am getting a new set of tires in a day or two and it got me thinking. When should I replace my shocks and struts? I have about 34k and it is not showing any signs of sagging yet. I do want to lift it later down the road when I have the time and money.

TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting a new set of tires in a day or two and it got me thinking. When should I replace my shocks and struts? I have about 34k and it is not showing any signs of sagging yet. I do want to lift it later down the road when I have the time and money.

Well, shocks/struts do not control ride height, they are there to dampen the rebound of the springs. Ever see a car with them waorn out, floats like a boat down the road. Anyway, unless you get the floaty feel, vehicle starts darting when you hit a bump, etc. they may not need replacing yet. Our libby has 52k on it, and I will be replacing ours in the spring when I do some other mods to it and before new tires. My Tahoe has 120K will original rear shocks, but they are in need of replacing.
That's my 2 cents worth, I know others will totally disagree. :)

GhstRider

Reaction score
The reason I brought this up is because my dad had issues with his tires starting to cup because of his original OEM shocks. I could be wrong because it happened 15 years ago.