Replacing suspension... RS9000XL and ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BackRoad

Reaction score
Lately been noticing some odd noises going over speedbumps in the jeep at low speed. Sounds like it may be the shocks, but that's just a guess. Thinking I should probably replace the springs/shocks since I bought the jeep at 103k and I've put 10k miles on it and I think it's stock at the moment.

I'm a college student so money's tight. :blah: My brother does auto at school and tells me he can install it if I buy it.

Right now, I'm looking at RS9000XLs for the front (RS999284) $75/ea, and RS999764 ($113/ea) for the rear from Advance. I can get moog springs for the front ($45) and rear (also $45). So that puts me at around $470.

Is this a good setup for the price, or should I consider something else? I was thinking I might be able to get the shocks at Advance and pick up springs elsewhere to get a lifted setup.

What else should I order to get this thing installed?

Josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, make sure it is a shock. Dry end link (swaybar) bushings are notorious for making the noise you describe. Some say silicone say is the best but other say soap and water is better.

Second, The reality is if you have more than 40k on your stock springs they are worn out. If you want to improve your ride and get some springs that will last a long time and/or want some lift you need a spring with a higher spring rate. You have 2 choices

1. Old Man Emu (you should have read this before posting anyway):
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/lift-faq-read-before-asking-questions-47137/

2. Iron Man
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/ironman-lift-pics-added-pg-2-5-a-51647/
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/ironman-lift-install-comments-m-g-52398/

Last edited:

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really cant go wrong with either of them. No point in replacing with stock, a few more bucks and you have a good amount of lift

BackRoad

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check into the dry link bushings.

I looked into the prices for shocks and coils:

Stock (RS9000xl and Moog Coils) - 470 (700, but I can use various coupon codes at AdvanceAP if I split the order up)

Ironman - 640

OME - 810

I was hoping that maybe there was a combination of parts I could get at AAP for a decent lifted suspension to save some cash. Looks like the

I think since money's tight right now I'll wait a couple months and try and go with one of the better setups, unless anyone can point me to something decent from AAP. I don't want to end up having to replace something I buy now a couple thousand miles down the road.

Thanks for the help. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check into the dry link bushings.

I looked into the prices for shocks and coils:

Stock (RS9000xl and Moog Coils) - 470 (700, but I can use various coupon codes at AdvanceAP if I split the order up)

Ironman - 640

OME - 810

I was hoping that maybe there was a combination of parts I could get at AAP for a decent lifted suspension to save some cash. Looks like the

I think since money's tight right now I'll wait a couple months and try and go with one of the better setups, unless anyone can point me to something decent from AAP. I don't want to end up having to replace something I buy now a couple thousand miles down the road.

When i was getting my lift together i tried to put one together from advanced. Even with a discount the iron man setup is cheaper

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's the way to do it. As the saying goes, "I'm too poor to buy cheap...", meaning if I buy the cheap stuff now I'll end up spending more because I'll replace it before I should because it's crap.

Put a few $'s away each month till you have what you need for the Ironman or OME setup and do it with quality parts one time. As NJAllday said, you can't go wrong with either setup.

And Merry Christmas to you too! :icon_biggrin:

Bob

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one has mentioned that all this won't change the noises he's talking about?

Use some silicon spray on your front swaybar bushings. Hopefully that's all the noises are coming from. Anything making noises in the rear, same thing; nothing in any of the suspension parts you'll be replacing with a lift will change those noises.

There's lots of info on here about using silicon spray on the front swaybar.

Just trying to help, but I hope you can get a lift too of course!

BackRoad

Reaction score
Thanks, based on this thread and a couple others I came to that conclusion. Replaced the front swaybar bushings, it was only $10 in parts.

Latest posts

Members online