Replacing Driveshaft U Joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SourKraut

Reaction score
I'm planning a cross-country drive in a few weeks. The Jeep has been doing a high speed rumble/vibration that happens between 55-65 MPH. From what I've gathered, it's most likely due to worn out U joints on the driveshaft.

I would normally tackle the job myself, but having already moved my tools and not having an adequate place to do the work, I plan on taking it to a driveline shop.

The u joints have never been replaced so even if this isn't the cause of the vibration I figure it's good preventative maintenance given the age (17 YO) and mileage (appx 118k).

While the driveshaft work is being done, is there anything else I should get done by the shop to prepare for a 3000 mile journey?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan.
Good drive line shops often have a balance machine & can sand/remove the rust from drive shaft & apply a quick coat of paint ! :)

budget76

Reaction score
Smart to use a driveline shop. They should do it all properly, as opposed to others who may not.

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to replace mine last year only to find out they are not replaceable! It seems on my 2010 Liberty you have to replace the whole drive shaft!

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score
When was the last time diff fluids were changed? Good time to do that while up in the air for driveshafts. Transfer case too.

RockinRam96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the u-joints in my Liberty shortly after getting it all put back together (bought it in October of 2021, spent 6 months getting it on the road between wait times on parts and title issues). U-joints were the first thing I did. They were simple. Took me less than a couple hours and I was back on the road.

As far as additional maintenance items, have all the fluids changed - differential fluids, tcase fluids and trans fluids. The transmission takes an internal spin on filter and a paper filter. The spin on filter is held in place by a plastic nipple. Get a steel nipple and have the shop replace the plastic nipple with the steel. The plastic nipple can get over tightened and the filter eventually break away. Now you have unfiltered fluid going through the transmission. Steel Nipple from Rev Max this is for a 68RFE but they're the same as the 545RFE. EDIT: Sorry I assumed you had a diesel. The steel nipple is only needed for the diesel flavors with the 545RFE.

Maybe have the coolant flushed, new coolant added and a thermostat.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.