Replaced my thermostat now worse than before.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjaccardi

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have a 2005 jeep liberty with 70k miles. I have not driven it for a few years . But always ran it and all that.

I put it back on the road and car was stalling and MAP sensor code came up. Replaced it and no more stalls and car was running great for a couple of weeks. Then I got an engine code p0128 and the car was running a little bit cold. The car though was blowing hot air.

I had some time today so decided to replace thermostat today bought one form Advance auto . After doing it all. Turned the car no leaks every looked good but the temperature is even lower and not blowing hot air at all.

What gives ? Is it defective Thermostat ? Any way to test the thermostat to see if its defective without draining all my coolant I just put in ?

Did I miss a step. Did not seem like anything special, just unplug and place new thermostat in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have a 2005 jeep liberty with 70k miles. I have not driven it for a few years . But always ran it and all that.

I put it back on the road and car was stalling and MAP sensor code came up. Replaced it and no more stalls and car was running great for a couple of weeks. Then I got an engine code p0128 and the car was running a little bit cold. The car though was blowing hot air.

I had some time today so decided to replace thermostat today bought one form Advance auto . After doing it all. Turned the car no leaks every looked good but the temperature is even lower and not blowing hot air at all.

What gives ? Is it defective Thermostat ? Any way to test the thermostat to see if its defective without draining all my coolant I just put in ?

Did I miss a step. Did not seem like anything special, just unplug and place new thermostat in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Highlighted the main problem I would say

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thermostats are one of those parts that I usually buy OEM. Sometimes I'll use a Superstat if one is available, but usually OEM. Seen too many issues with aftermarket 'stats.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found non-OEM t-stats have a 75% failure rate right out of the box and yes I do this for a living and replace alot of t-stats.

Other causes can be the t-stat installed backwards and improper cooling system bleeding.On the 3.7 in a KJ you must fill through the bleed hole located on the front cover(upper hose) since the t-stat is located on the bottom hose.This fills the engine with coolant which is key in properly bleeding the system.

cjaccardi

Reaction score
I have found non-OEM t-stats have a 75% failure rate right out of the box and yes I do this for a living and replace alot of t-stats.

Other causes can be the t-stat installed backwards and improper cooling system bleeding.On the 3.7 in a KJ you must fill through the bleed hole located on the front cover(upper hose) since the t-stat is located on the bottom hose.This fills the engine with coolant which is key in properly bleeding the system.

Thank for the help guys.

Is there a way to test a new t-stat before I put it in ?

meoget

Reaction score
Thank for the help guys.

Is there a way to test a new t-stat before I put it in ?

Put it in a pot of warming water, and it should open up. Raise the temperature of the water slowly, and note what temperature it opens up at.
I don't know if excessive temperatures will damage the thermostat, so be somewhat careful.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's your issue. Buy it from the dealer. 3.7s are picked

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM thermostat is around the same or less as aftermarket and far better quality..

I know with some things from parts houses after-market are actually better(like PCMs that don't blow drivers as easy) but not this.

Backflush, fill with 50/50 zerex g-05, and replace the temp sensor on top of the engine. The cooling system is incredibly simple(I've replaced every component inside a few hours on my 03 using basic tools and no experience). This actually sounds like the sensor as it's pretty hard to get them too cold unless you use HD cooling in sub-zero weather..

cjaccardi

Reaction score
The OEM thermostat is around the same or less as aftermarket and far better quality..

I know with some things from parts houses after-market are actually better(like PCMs that don't blow drivers as easy) but not this.

Backflush, fill with 50/50 zerex g-05, and replace the temp sensor on top of the engine. The cooling system is incredibly simple(I've replaced every component inside a few hours on my 03 using basic tools and no experience). This actually sounds like the sensor as it's pretty hard to get them too cold unless you use HD cooling in sub-zero weather..

thanks I was thinking it might be ect sensor. That was my next step. I am going to switch out this thermostat just in case and then try that if it does not work.

One quick question when putting the thermostat back how tight do you have to put it in the thermostat mount. I felt when I put the first one in it was not very tight , like it might fall lose inside.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also make sure the thermostat is in straight and not being compressed when you tighten things down

kage860

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you still have the old thermostat you can test it in a pot of water. If its good there's a good chance you have a bad temperature sender. I tend to think two bad thermostats are unlikely.