Replaced Factory Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed my front bumper and fenders to clean the dead bugs and dirt out and noticed my radiator leaking Antifreeze from the lower hose on the passenger side....tried the leak repair.....didnt work...So all day today I searched the forum to see if any one completed the repair. I noticed $300-800 got the complete install:eek:

I purchased a brand new unit for 108.78 tax and all purchased radiator clamps for $2.70 at AZ. The removal and replacement was simple upon completing it I spray painted the trans cooler black again to give it that hidden look because it had scratches on it.

im looking for other simple mods any suggestions

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure a new radiator was really what you needed? Is it possible the lower hose was merely leaking and needed replacing?

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you replace the hoses while you had everything apart? Just wondering if maybe the lower hose was showing signs of going out and causing the leak.

EDIT: Jnaut beat me to it by just a couple of minutes :)

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the response...the lower plastic had a small crack in the inside. I thought about trying some JB Weld but since the radiator was so cheap and I also wanted to clean some of the engine so I just replaced it. Yes I put brand new hoses on it upper and lower and replaced all the clamps with new ones. I had to take the spring out of the lower hose due to the fact the new one did not have the spring in it.....what is the spring for anyway?

since the KJ has 111,000+ on it......why not.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For simple mods, how about some nice floor mats...such as the Husky mats...:)

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they come in black...my interior is jet black...some rubber mats would be nice....wait im in texas they would melt in the hot texas sun

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had to take the spring out of the lower hose due to the fact the new one did not have the spring in it.....what is the spring for anyway?

So the forces at work from the engine don't suck the hose closed, thereby blocking proper coolant flow.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've got a 2002 - you should be able to get some weathertech floor mat's that are color matched to your carpet. They wouldn't melt in the hot Texas sun....

Another good mod is proper fluid maintenance. [I know, kind of lame... but true still]

AMG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sleeve, my next project is changing the trans and diff fluids...I have a 4x4 and when I make the swtich I can hear a noise on the front left wheel..lil whine and like something is loose and then when I swtich back to 2 wheel drive when it engage it jerks...I know that isnt normal

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they come in black...my interior is jet black...some rubber mats would be nice....wait im in texas they would melt in the hot texas sun

Huskeys aren't really rubber, more like plastic. I think they'd hold up OK in Texas heat. They do come in black. I wanted more black in my interior, so that's what I got. I love them!

Latest posts

Members online