Replace starter 02 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On an 02 the drivers side cat prevents the starter from coming out . Will removing the bands / clamps that hold the cats to the exhaust manifolds & dropping the crossover pipe down to the crossmember allow the starter enough room to come out ? The front shaft is out .
Another question , anyone ever install newer exhaust manifolds & a newer type crossover pipe on an 02 ? The newer type has flange bolts instead of those pesky bands & the cats are back farther out of the way .

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removed the bands / clamps from both sides & the front hanger bracket & the y pipe dropped enough to remove the starter . Still wondering about swapping manifolds & y pipe . I have a spare set of 05 exhaust manifolds & a spare y pipe . I am removing the engine from the 02 so it would be easy to make the swap if it works . I also have an 05 so I can probably eyeball both vehicles & tell if the swap will work .

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need to do all that to get the starter out, just take out the support brace on the transmission, then there is just enough room to wiggle it out. There should be some write ups in it...

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did this job last week have to flip the starter so the solenoid is facing the trans side and use a pry bar is the only way i could get it.

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My engine was coming out anyway so it really didn't make much difference . The engine is out now . I removed the oil pan & found my knock . Spun bearing on # 4 rod . This engine just had the heads rebuilt & a new timing chain installed right before the rod started knocking .

Are you guys saying that the starter can be replaced on an 02 without unbolting the y pipe from the manifolds ?

Last edited:

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My engine was coming out anyway so it really didn't make much difference . The engine is out now . I removed the oil pan & found my knock . Spun bearing on # 4 rod . This engine just had the heads rebuilt & a new timing chain installed right before the rod started knocking .

Are you guys saying that the starter can be replaced on an 02 without unbolting the y pipe from the manifolds ?

Definitely a yes