removing pilot bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the pilot bearing/insert in the end of crankshaft because my torque converter won't fit. Thinking to just go in and cut it out, but any tricks would be helpful.

edit: The pilot bearing i'm referring to is actually the insert used to down size the bore to fit later year torque converters

Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the diameter of the hole, but see if a pilot bearing puller will fit, they can go into a pretty small sized hole. I replaced my bearing when doing a clutch job last summer, Autozone has a puller in their free rental deal.
Or, a trick I've used to remove pilot bushings, is to pack the hole with grease, get a metal rod or wood dowel that just fits the hole, shove it in the hole and hit it with a hammer. You'll then remove the dowel, add more grease and repeat the process. The hydraulic pressure from the impact of the grease pushes the bushing out.

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but I have an auto transmission. This bearing as people call it or spacer was used to make the crank inside diameter smaller to accept torque converter on 03-up.
You must be registered for see images attach

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but I have an auto transmission. This bearing as people call it or spacer was used to make the crank inside diameter smaller to accept torque converter on 03-up.

Yes, I know you do (I read your question). As long as it has a hole that goes all the way through, you can treat the removal process the same as if it's a manual trans bushing/bearing.
If the hole only goes part way through, then you may want to try drilling it through, then doing as described above.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the pilot bearing/insert in the end of crankshaft because my torque converter won't fit. Thinking to just go in and cut it out, but any tricks would be helpful.

edit: The pilot bearing i'm referring to is actually the insert used to down size the bore to fit later year torque converters

I took my crank to a machine shop. Couldn't find a bearing puller or any other trick that would do the job - that baby is in there tight.

The shop charged me about $50 if my memory is working today...

Bob