Removing Front Bumper Air Dam - Dope or Nope? (2005 KJ)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonTheOverlander

Reaction score
After repairing a dent in my front bumper with the old boiling water trick, I decided to remove the black plastic air dam which sits just below the bumper. I had to break a few rivets to get it off so I can't really put it back on if I wanted to. I like the look better without it. It creates the illusion that there's more ground clearance. I figured it would also improve the approach angle as I noticed that it had already been scraped up a bit. The only downside was that removing it reduced the rigidity of the bumper. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Any thoughts on whether or not this was a good idea?

Also if anyone wants a used air dam I plan on selling it.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many people trim those for the same reasons..typically stop at the part that shields the radiator support and the massive electrical line that Jeep decided to put in front of the radiator support.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has been gone since before I bought it 6ish years ago. No issues.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut mine away many moons ago... I added a couple of screws where the fender and bumper overlap to reduce the floppy bumper effect.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lets see
04 front bumper gone
03, very little of it remains
05 cut off bottom portion 2 weeks after buying it to make it easier to get to oil filter LOL

OldJoe

Reaction score
After repairing a dent in my front bumper with the old boiling water trick, I decided to remove the black plastic air dam which sits just below the bumper. I had to break a few rivets to get it off so I can't really put it back on if I wanted to. I like the look better without it. It creates the illusion that there's more ground clearance. I figured it would also improve the approach angle as I noticed that it had already been scraped up a bit. The only downside was that removing it reduced the rigidity of the bumper. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing. Any thoughts on whether or not this was a good idea?

Removed mine from an '04 when I put on the hooks. 1/4" plastic rivets can gotten on Amazon. If you ever need to remove the flares, youll

Elly

Reaction score
Mine came loose in the winter. In the spring I was able to reattach it by using black zip ties. Works great and if it gers banged up in the snow...all good

eldredg

Reaction score

Only thing I would comment is that you might lose a fraction of a MPG in fuel usage by removing the air dam. And it is said by some that your engine cooling may be slightly less efficient. But it's you Jeep so do what you want to it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Only thing I would comment is that you might lose a fraction of a MPG in fuel usage by removing the air dam. And it is said by some that your engine cooling may be slightly less efficient. But it's you Jeep so do what you want to it.
People say that about an ARB as well
Never lost any MPGs and towing a box trailer a lot for miles never got hot

06MoneyPit

Reaction score

What does yours look like?? Thinking about doing the same

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The 05 , New tires, lifted more after this picture , then sold that lift getting ready to do another one, but cut bumper this far, more later

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

The 04 after an ARB bumper, After a Rock Lizard bumper, after nothing left but the Matrix Front Brush Guard

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely an improvement, but many including myself cut at the crease at the bottom of the main bumper and a bit below the side markers

Latest posts

Members online