removed water pump and found oil???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pominajeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like title says, i have just put a new motor in the kj, and after 5 mins running discovered water in the oil, lots of it, so removed the water pump and found oil mixed with the water, so my question is, when i got the motor the timing cover was removed and i had a box of bolts, so does anyone hav e the diagram of which size bolts go where on the timing chain cover and water pump housings??

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stick something in each hole (screwdriver or something) maybe you can determine the depth of each.
I don't remember how I figured it out last time I took mine apart but I noticed afterwards that some bolts were longer.....

pominajeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks bjbnet, do you think having the wrong bolts would cause the water to enter and mix with the oil, as all the water went straight into the oil , not over a period of time, and its a breand new reman, so cant see it being an actual motor problem, cheers bud

pominajeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks bud, hopefully someone will put me out of my misery!!
been waiting a year to get this done and she fired up first turn of the key yesterday, then noticed all the water draining from coolant res. dipped oil and voila, oil!!!
so stripped the front down again and just waiting to see if the timing cover is my problem, and not head bolts etc,
bit difficult getting help here in australia as jeeps are seen like illegal immigrants!
gary

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The timing cover is sealed against the block using 3 small o-ring type seals to keep the coolant in it's place and the oil in it's place.

Stupid ?,did the o-rings get installed?

A pic of the 3 o-rings............
You must be registered for see images attach

Those 3 o-rings is all that keeps the coolant and oil from mixing in the front cover and front of the block.

pominajeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks tjkj, i know i put those 3 seals in, maybe 1 slipped?? does RTV need to be used as well? do you know if putting the wrong length bolts back in ie, 1 too short but still tightens, maybe leaving a gap for oil/coolant to mix?? now i guess i will have to remove the timing cover, and the bottom wheel, just hope the puller has enough room to remove pulley, really dont want to have the motor pulled out again!!
thanks bud, gary

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The timing cover is sealed against the block using 3 small o-ring type seals to keep the coolant in it's place and the oil in it's place.

Stupid ?,did the o-rings get installed?

A pic of the 3 o-rings............
You must be registered for see images attach

Those 3 o-rings is all that keeps the coolant and oil from mixing in the front cover and front of the block.

Tom - never been into one - do the bolts go into the water jackets and need to be sealed? I know there are a lot of motors that need this.

pominajeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK SO AN UPDATE ON THIS TOPIC,
bolts dont go in water jackets, so no need for pipe sealant, we removed the timing cover to check the 3 seals, they were all in place, while the timing cover was off, i covered the 2 water outlets and put a hose in the water inlet, so water was entering, and in theory should not have anywhere to exit, but it started flowing out from the oil drain plug, so there is definately a hole?? or something else allowing water to mix with oil inside the block/heads?? told engine supplier what we had done, he agreed there must be a problem with the block, he wants me to remove the sump cover to seee where the water is coming from, told him i dont have the time or tools to remove the sump ( lifting engine, removing cross member etc, and that what difference does it make, the motor needs to come out and be replaced under the 1 year warranty i got with the engine, bad enough that al this has happened, the radiator got damaged removing it to fault find this problem, so have asked them to replace that, and the cost of oil/coolant /filter etc, this was a reman engine so how coud this be that there is a hole/crack somewhere that is allowing water to pour out through the oil drain plug??
any advice kindly welcomed guys, would be easy for me to tow the jeep to the suppliers but that is a 12 hour ferry ride and then a 1200km drive!! thats the problem with living in australia!!
cheers, gary

Latest posts

Members online