Relocating power window switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone relocated or thought about relocating the front power window switches to the doors? I would like to add all four to the drivers door and replace the passenger side door lock switch with a power window switch, if possible or atleast the add a power window switch to the front passenger door.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, it's a strange setup at first, but it seems to make sense over time :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so comfortable with the way they are placed. I don't think it would be as much convenient if they were on the door. My arm/hand is always on the center storage anyway, all I do is flick a finger, and windows open. Most of the time it looks like I magically roll the windows since there is no prior movement. :) This is on 04. I know on 06+ they moved them down, which doesn't perform as well.

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One advantage for the long run is it is one less set of wires to break from opening and closing the door.

At first I went to the door to get them, but I got used to them. And since my VW has the controls in the center console, I always go for them there now.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
and water from the rain if you are in a rainy area

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could go to a junk yard & pick up some mopar switches & harnasses, then splice new wires on to the originals& run them to the door.

It can be done, but it would be better & easier to get used to the OEM location.

fasto82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i actually like em there too. and i love how both front windows have the one touch down feature.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I am so comfortable with the way they are placed. I don't think it would be as much convenient if they were on the door. My arm/hand is always on the center storage anyway, all I do is flick a finger, and windows open. Most of the time it looks like I magically roll the windows since there is no prior movement. :) This is on 04. I know on 06+ they moved them down, which doesn't perform as well.

x2. Makes much more sense to me to have them where they are. My hand is always right over them, I dont even move to put them down.

The only thing I wish they would of done was make the switches that locks the door, sideways instead of horizontal. That way people that are stupid wouldnt think its the windows and lock the door. Im thinking about unhooking that switch actually. I cannot stand it when people lock my doors. :-s :-s ](*,) ](*,) =; =;

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what year you have whether or not you feel it's comfortable. Before '05 they are back further on the vertical part of the center console.

You must be registered for see images

Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't the '05+ in front of the cupholders? A little bit of an improvement I think. Sometimes I'm annoyed as to where mine are, I feel like I have to reach back to get to them.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
The only thing I wish they would of done was make the switches that locks the door, sideways instead of horizontal. That way people that are stupid wouldnt think its the windows and lock the door. Im thinking about unhooking that switch actually. I cannot stand it when people lock my doors. :-s :-s ](*,) ](*,) =; =;

exactly.

HEY PAL, THAT AIN'T THE WINDOW SWITCH.
Sometimes they don't realize (are you deaf?) that it is actually door lock, because whenever they do that, I immediately roll the windows down, and when they move their hands, they think it is stuck, because i keep lowering the window, then they try to unlock the doors, then I move the window up, it is fun actually, but I do hate that too.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just kick people out of my car when they go and start hitting switches without asking me. If you are riding in my car, I choose what the temperature is, don't touch my A/C. Especially don't decide you want the A/C on and just hit the button when I have it off. My car, My windows, My radio station and My thermostat. Hands off.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
I just kick people out of my car when they go and start hitting switches without asking me. If you are riding in my car, I choose what the temperature is, don't touch my A/C. Especially don't decide you want the A/C on and just hit the button when I have it off. My car, My windows, My radio station and My thermostat. Hands off.

YES man! YES.
I totally agree. I never play with anyone else's car (except if they have two zone A/C and it's freeze-ass cold inside) :)

My car, My windows, My radio station and My thermostat. Hands off.

gotta make a banner and post somewhere in the car :)

benji_KJ2003

Reaction score
Come on. It's a Jeep (Chrysler). Get used to its style. I'm loving it (whistle)

mattjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gotten used to it, but some people haven't yet, maybe I'll just take out the passenger door lock switch and replace it with a auto window switch. We'll see.