Red small light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dawid5995

Reaction score
Hi.
I have 2004 jeep kj 2.8 150km. For a long time I have a problem with the small red light. Ihe is always on when the engine is on. The car works normally, I was on the jeep service, but there in no fails on the car. I alsow try to use a secound key, but it doesn't change anything. I think it is an immobilizer or alarm lamp. Any suggestions?
You must be registered for see images

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Bill feel free to add to this thread Thanks.
The Owners manual states it is the Security Alarm System Indicator Light.
Light should flash rapidly for approximately 16 seconds after all of the doors are locked and closed to signal that the system is arming.
After the alarm successfully arms, the light will flash at a slower rate to indicate the alarm is set.
Let me see if I can find out more in the FSM about this "on" or potential error....

If the security indicator illuminates with the ignition switch in the On position,it indicates that there is a communication problem between the Intrusion Transceiver Module (ITM)
and the Body Control Module (BCM), or between the ITM and the siren module.
The BCM will also turn on the security indicator if it receives a message from
the ITM indicating that the ITM has stored a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) for a siren module fault.
OK so there probably is a fault code present then, and it needs to get scanned by dealer or someone with a DRBIII scan tool (StarScan)

dawid5995

Reaction score
the lamp flashes 16 seconds after the car is closed so that's ok.
I was at the jeep service, they couldn't find a fault...

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as I know the USA/Canada and most Export models like my 2002 RHD 2.5 Export CRD does not have an Intrusion Alert Module fitted. I believe this is an optional feature whereby there is a ceiling mounted sensor...mounted mid ceiling...that senses if someone has entered the vehicle without the alarm being disarmed. Loud siren will sound if there is an intruder.

So my question to the OP is...does your vehicle have this internal center mounted sensor?

If not then it is the standard sensor whereby if you lock the doors with your key-fob then the light flashes rapidly then slows down. An occupant sitting inside the vehicle will not set of any alarm but if you now use your key to open the door...not the key-fob...then the horn sounds loudly until you disarm it with the key-fob.

If this Jeep does not have the ceiling-mounted sensor then this is probably a BUS problem which would be hard to find....stick some tape over the LED;)

I will have a look through the Wiring to see if there could be a reason for this LED being On all the time but do not have 2004 Service Manuals!

Last edited:

dawid5995

Reaction score
My Jeep is Cherokee Renegade 2004 2.8 crd 110kw 150km 545rfe.
Yes, i have a "ceiling mounted sensor".

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK that is the Premium Export version that uses ultra sonics to detect that someone is moving inside the cabin when the Security system has been activated.

The 2004 KJ Service Manuals are impossible to get hold of but the 2003 Jeep KJ Service Manual should be close enough.
You can download this manual on the link below...very useful manual to have. Section 8W has the wiring section while the Index page gives you the other sections of importance.

The 2005 Jeep KJ Service Manual gives pretty much the same explanation of the Security System as the 2003 Manual so either can be used for your 2004 KJ.

Also download the Section 2_5 2_8 Export Diesels which has some good information on the early Export Diesels such as the CEL codes and what to do about them.

That Module on your ceiling is called the ITM (Intrusion Transceiver Module).

The security system is explained in Section 8Q of the manuals.

The bad news is that for any problem in the system to be diagnosed the Dealers DRBIII scan tool is needed to diagnose the problem!
My experience with the Jeep dealers is that they are pretty useless in how to use this DRBIII tool.
The other bad news is that the communication between the various modules involved here such as the ITM and the BCM is all done using the PCI serial communication Bus (Programmable Communication Interface)

The first KJs used this PCI Bus only....my 2002 Export 2.5 CRD uses only PCI. I drove into a BOSCH Dealership and asked the Technician there if he could read out any stored CEL codes from the BOSCH ECM that this diesel Jeep has installed. He took on quick look and shook his head!
It is pretty much impossible to find any scanner that can read PCI codes.
So the only way I can get any CEL codes is by using the "key" method which has limitations.
Later KJ models started adding other Busses in addition to PCI such as CAN, SCSI etc.

I will look up the various CEL codes possible to see if there are any relevant codes for the Security System....maybe the "key" method will provide some clues as to why your Security Lamp is ON all the time but any codes will probably be stored in the ITM which requires the DRBIII scanner.

OK I cannot find any CEL codes for the Security System.
You can try test if the Intrusion System is working by sitting in the cabin and closing all the doors using the key fob. Once the red light stops flashing rapidly....move about in the cabin and see if the alarm goes OFF...should be a siren...not the horn!

Section 8Q shows that you can disable the ITM by pressing the "lock" button on the key fob 3 times while the red light is flashing rapidly, read this up in Section 8Q

If the BCM or the ITM is ever replaced then the Dealer is supposed to re-program both modules with various information such as VIN.....probably this has not been done!

You should have a Hood Closed Switch mounted in the engine bay right side facing upwards which closes a contact when the hood is opened. This sets off the alarm if the hood is forced open. I wonder what would happen if this switch is faulty? Try disconnect the connector on this sensor so that it thinks the hood is always closed and see if this maybe stops your small red LED being lighted all the time.

Jeep KJ Manuals:

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Last edited: