Recommend USB Adapter for Front +12VDC Outlet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tech-Mechanic

Reaction score
I bought a kinda pricey USB adapter, intending to use it to charge my phone, etc. via the front power outlet (cigar lighter). Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I know the outlet works because it heats up the lighter. And I know the USB adapter works because it provides power when I plug it into the rear outlet.

I notice that when I try the cigar lighter in the rear outlet, it doesn't work, and feels looser in the rear socket than the front. So I'm assuming the adapter is just too big to go fully into the front outlet, and is not making a connection.

Can some of you tell me what brand adapter you're using in your front power outlet, so I can get one that works?

Thanks in advance for your time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two different brands from Amazon that I use in the 03 and 05
never had an issue

Do they look the same overall ?

Tech-Mechanic

Reaction score
I have two different brands from Amazon that I use in the 03 and 05
never had an issue

Do they look the same overall ?
Do you know what brands they are?

The adapter I have inserts further into the rear socket (the one that works) than it does the front socket.

This adapter has a metal body with a raised lip around the positive terminal. So, I'm assuming it's just slightly to big for the front socket.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I have had adapters last for ever, and others let the smoke out at random. Replaced the console out let with a dual port dual usb. Linkstyle 12v 4.2amp dual port off Amazon

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had adapters last for ever, and others let the smoke out at random. Replaced the console out let with a dual port dual usb. Linkstyle 12v 4.2amp dual port off Amazon
Those things look great! Now i want to buy a bunch of them and pop one n each vehicle.

Tech-Mechanic

Reaction score

Thanks for the info. That seems like a better idea, since I don't ever need the lighter anyway. Plus, some of them have an on/off switch, which is perfect for the always-on outlet in the JK.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Those things look great! Now i want to buy a bunch of them and pop one n each vehicle.
I have one in the front at the OE spot. Plan to put two in the cargo area with two standard 12v after the rest of my dual battery system gets delivered. I also plan to install another above the flasher button between the vent.

When finished will be a dual battery system with solar. I want the ability to take more lab equipment to the field like a centrifuge and an IR sample dryer.

While I do lots of camping, it’s actually for field work 90% of the time.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Re USB charging for phones..I suppose it depends what phone you have & what faster charging is available or matched to your phone.
In my case after consulting with phone store, they gave me the info I needed 3.0 please for my android. 3 x quicker than a basic USB. :cool:

Attachments

• USB Charging.jpg
    USB Charging.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 8

NavyStore

Reaction score
I pulled the facia off the center panel and spliced in a 12V power outlet into the 12V supply lines for the lighter/power. Using an Anker USB-C 4 port power adapter from Amazon, and some zip-ties to keep it secured into the port, I ran two C cords for my phones, one Mini-A (the rectangular kind) for my driving camera and one standard for my wifes phone all around and behind the dash. they work perfectly. I ran three different color cables as well, so I wouldn't accidentally run them to wrong positions.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That seems like a better idea, since I don't ever need the lighter anyway. Plus, some of them have an on/off switch, which is perfect for the always-on outlet in the JK.
I installed a toggle for each outlet, one in my exterior control console and one for the rear outlets. Always on is just a lazy design in my opinion.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.