Recall Question: Lower ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjmman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer did some recall work on my 2003 kj yesterday. They replaced the lower ball joints, did something with the air bags and a general inspection. I've had a brand new lift, tires, and alignment done a couple days before the service. I'm getting a little bit of wobble in the steering wheel when coming to a stop since the ball joints were replaced ( no issues before with the lift ). Should they have done an alignment after installing the ball joints? I don't want my new tires to start wearing unevenly...

Also, they tell me the left inner cv joint boot needs replaced ( it's leaking oil pretty bad ). Ive only had the jeep a week and didn't notice it upon inspection... Could this have been done while lifting or replacing the ball joints? I'm at 95k miles... If I should just eat it and spend the $57 for a new Axle and 2-3 hrs replacing it I will.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't see what is the point in talking about what shoulda got done in what order now.
So corrective action is needed for the cv shaft (Get a Napa one) and alignment afterwords.

IMHO anytime you replace BJ's an alignment should be completed.
The dealer will probably say the ball joint replacement is free alignment not included...??

cbpf9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems like bs if they have a recall on something and while fixing it its get knocked out of alignment shouldn't they have to fix it? Not like your putting aftermarket parts on it its caused by there own defective parts....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems like bs if they have a recall on something and while fixing it its get knocked out of alignment shouldn't they have to fix it? Not like your putting aftermarket parts on it its caused by there own defective parts....
They didn't touch the cam bolts or loosen the tie rod ends o the alignment should not change.

Granted You should have the alignment checked after replacing ball joints but it's not 100% necessary like changing tie rod ends.