Rear Swing Gate will not open.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sockapal

Reaction score
Hello fellow Jeep members, just saying that I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty (no longer under warranty) and have so far been pleased with it. However, about a month ago the Rear Swing Gate ceased to open. The glass part still comes up, but the gate does not open and every time I pull the handle I hear a weird noise like it is trying to unlock and open but will not disengage. Any suggestions or ideas? I'd like to try to fix this myself without having to pay the gouging dealer prices, thanks! :)

richre1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the mechanism inside the latch is not operating. what year and mileage is your car and if u can private message me your vin ill see if there is a bulliten on it if there is they will honor it from another dealership
all i have to do is print out the bulletin and fax over to you and you just bring it in. i know this is a dumb ? but have you tried unlocking all the doors first and then try to open it??

Sockapal

Reaction score
Yes I have tried the door locks numerous times, I have 57k miles on it and it is a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited. Also, when my Jeep was under warranty the rear gate did not work properly, and they put on a new handle. It worked fine for a while after that and just about a month ago I got this problem of it not opening. : /

2003KJ

Reaction score
Sounds like the locking mechanism in the handle is stuck.

This is a first that i've heard on happening to the liberty, so I don't really know what to tell you other than if you ever get the door open, maybe WD-40 the hell out of it?

Sockapal

Reaction score
Sounds like the locking mechanism in the handle is stuck.

This is a first that i've heard on happening to the liberty, so I don't really know what to tell you other than if you ever get the door open, maybe WD-40 the hell out of it?

Hmmm, thanks KJ I might try that, but the sound is coming from the place where the rear window locks. I took the back plastic piece off a bit and the "hammer" mechanism that releases the door did not seem to be going all the way down. Could it be something electrical? Or just a switch I am missing in that section?

2003KJ

Reaction score
Hmmm, thanks KJ I might try that, but the sound is coming from the place where the rear window locks. I took the back plastic piece off a bit and the "hammer" mechanism that releases the door did not seem to be going all the way down. Could it be something electrical? Or just a switch I am missing in that section?

You know, i'm not really sure. I've never had to take one apart before, so i'm not really familiar with how the locking mechanism works on the gate/glass of the KJ.

I know on the 03's, there was a recall involving the rear glass opening on it's own because water could leak past the seal and short out the switch (mine had this problem, i'd come out in the morning to find my glass wide open). But I believe that was 03's only, and it was only a few.

cameraflage

Reaction score
East of Cleveland, Ohio, along the Amish Frontier
OK, this may seem like a dumb question, but here goes...do you have your rear wipers turned on, or at least set on "delay"? I have a 2006 KJ, and the rear door won't open if the rear wiper is left on.

Even if it isn't turned on, might it be possible that the door thinks the wipers are on and therefore won't open? Faulty sensor?

Jaysus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard that noise once... it was seconds before my battery died, and left me stranded two days after my wedding.

good times.

Sockapal

Reaction score
OK, this may seem like a dumb question, but here goes...do you have your rear wipers turned on, or at least set on "delay"? I have a 2006 KJ, and the rear door won't open if the rear wiper is left on.

Even if it isn't turned on, might it be possible that the door thinks the wipers are on and therefore won't open? Faulty sensor?
Hmm no my wipers are not on, and the funny thing is there is no fuse for the rear gate lock whatsoever, just the main door lock. Therefore, I would imagine it is not an electrical problem, but I could be wrong?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Hmm no my wipers are not on, and the funny thing is there is no fuse for the rear gate lock whatsoever, just the main door lock. Therefore, I would imagine it is not an electrical problem, but I could be wrong?
Question: When you back up, the Liberty's rear door is supposed to lock as a safety precaution. Can you hear yours lock?

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if you don't have a foreign object being pinched by the door.

Have you tried backing up to something like a wall and putting your back to that, and pushing with your feet against the door by the latch - and at the same time trying to open it?

Just a thought...