• #2 D ring

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • #3 Solid hook

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • #4 Solid ring

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do know its not solid right?

Does it really matter? The bolts holding the hitch on or the reciever pin will fail before you rip the sides out of that reciever. Stuffs like 1/4" isn't it? When under a shear load, that steel will be plenty strong enough. And even then, it's the D-ring pin and the reciever pin that are in shear. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the reciever being hollow.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Does it really matter? The bolts holding the hitch on or the reciever pin will fail before you rip the sides out of that reciever. Stuffs like 1/4" isn't it? When under a shear load, that steel will be plenty strong enough. And even then, it's the D-ring pin and the reciever pin that are in shear. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the reciever being hollow.

exactly right.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
whatever
I just like the solid ones way better for the money
plus if someones a jerk I can throw it at em!

In the last thirty plus years of wheeling I've seen enough cheap stuff break that some have said " don't worry about it, its strong enough"

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually if using a 1/4" walled tube will have more "shear" force under the same load then a solid stock will since you only have a total 1/2" pressing on the pin where as the solid stock has 2" pushing on that pin.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually if using a 1/4" walled tube will have more "shear" force under the same load then a solid stock will since you only have a total 1/2" pressing on the pin where as the solid stock has 2" pushing on that pin.

This makes sense and I like the sound of "solid" better than "walled tube"....:smokin:

Dave

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score

True Troy, but in the end, it's the 5/8" pin that is in "shear", not the reciever tube or the hollow reciever. The force will be exerted on the pin itself. The tube will be in "tension"

This makes sense and I like the sound of "solid" better than "walled tube"....:smokin:

Dave

Dave, in the Areospace industry, lots of things are made hollow, or have holes punched in them to make them stronger under the stresses that get applied.

Latest posts

Members online