Rear glass wont unlatch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TayJeep

Reaction score
My daughter has a 2006 Liberty Limited and when I unlock all the doors including the tailgate, everything unlocks except the glass. Sure I can open the tailgate and the glass will open but the latch doesn't activate so it stays in the locked position. So if I go to close the glass it hits the latch as if the glass was already closed. It looks like it is supposed to unlock along with the tailgate but it isn't. Is there a separate fuse? It sure looks like it is the same motor that unlocks the tailgate so I'm confused. I can get in with a screwdriver and unlatch it but if I lock it, it will not unlock.

Sorry for the lengthy appreciated.

Thank you

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you hear the actuator make any noise when you pull the handle right before the gate opens?
As far as I know the glass latch itself has no lock, the lock is actually just at the gate lock and when you pull the handle it activates the latch actuator for it to swing open.

Have you tried to open the glass by holding the button in the keyfob?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Clean the lock mechanism good and then lube it up, when we picked up the 05 it did the same thing. Lady dropped price 450 bucks since her mechanic said thats what it would cost.
Brought it home, cleaned/lubed it and been working over two years now.

TayJeep

Reaction score
Can you hear the actuator make any noise when you pull the handle right before the gate opens?
As far as I know the glass latch itself has no lock, the lock is actually just at the gate lock and when you pull the handle it activates the latch actuator for it to swing open.

Have you tried to open the glass by holding the button in the keyfob?

Yes, you can hear it unlock the tailgate. I pulled off the inside panel and watched but nothing for the glass moves. I tried the fob an the button, same result.

TayJeep

Reaction score
Clean the lock mechanism good and then lube it up, when we picked up the 05 it did the same thing. Lady dropped price 450 bucks since her mechanic said thats what it would cost.
Brought it home, cleaned/lubed it and been working over two years now.

Ill give that a try today. I looks like the glass latch has something attached to the motor as if it would lock/unlock but ill clean and lube it, hopefully it will work.
Thanks!

Sephiroth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check if the actuator is stuck the black "hook" thingy should move down and press the latch to open it

You must be registered for see images attach

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Window latch release is operated by a solenoid actuated by a small microswitch attached to the rear door handle held on by a rusty clip... if I'm renembering right.

Fuse? Microswitch? Solenoid?

I replaced the switch, $12.00.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Often caused by the small microswitch on the rear door handle as mentioned.

The glass latch motor should have ground on the Black/Orange wire at all times and should get +12 volts on the dark Blue/Light Green wire when the fob is actuated or the rear door is opened.

There is a small microswitch inside the glass latching area...."switch flip up glass ajar" which may be faulty but you would probably get the message "Glass" showing on the Odometer display when the glass is in fact closed.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.