Rear gate rattle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My kj got bumped by some a** hole in a parking lot a couple years back and the spare tire bracket rattles (inside the door) every time I hit a bump. Any ideas how to fix it and I'm considering just tossing the tire into a roof rack but I dont know what basket to get for up there. I want one anyway. But I think the kj looks weird without the spare on the gate.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd pop the inner liner off the gate and see what's going on in there. You should be able to fix your problem with the rattle and still have a choice for spare tire mount location.

As for the basket, I like the one I got. (See link in my signature.) If you look through the earlier part of the thread you'll find links to all the stuff I got. I added the extension to the middle, so if you think it looks too big you could always skip that part. :)

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked inside and the its the bottom tire brace on the inside wont bolt tight. I tried jb weld and it did almost nothing. I had a shop weld the top one for me but they did a crappy job. It seems as though the bottom bracket got pushed in. But there's no room to weld.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the roof rack is there one that mounts between the rails like an inch for the roof. Really low profile. The ones that bolt to cross bars sit really high and look odd.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
How hard would it be to get a picture?

I would bet you could rig up your own replacement mount with some big U-Bolts, nutted down inside and out. You ought to be able to find a replacement bracket set and have it re-done like new.

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I for got to mention that the welds broke for both internal tire brace points in the door after the hit. Which is the cause of the rattle but I cant secure the bottom one.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
As for the roof rack is there one that mounts between the rails like an inch for the roof. Really low profile. The ones that bolt to cross bars sit really high and look odd.

Yeah. Whenever I drive down the street little boys run out, point at my roof, then start to giggle. I chase the little jerks away and put the fear of God in them, though. :ehcapt::mad3::boxing:

(Actually, mine is getting redone next spring to bring it down a little.) ;)

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chase the little jerks away and put the fear of God in them, though.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!
Is there a rack that fits between the rails and I cam just figure out a way to mount it myself? I also plan to rhino line my roof.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I dont quite have $400 to throw at it right now haha. But I bet they're worth it.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
See the post Luke made (#3) in the thread in my sig. You could buy the whole shebang for about what those rails cost.

My rack is just barely narrower than the width of the existing roof rails. Next spring I intend to custom fab a mounting system to actually get the bottom of the rack even with the bottom of the rails. I already have it worked out in my head, just need some warm weather to make me want to actually go out and do it.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I had the same rattle in mine. As you've already discovered, there's no way to access the interior welds. I eventually replaced the swing gate with another from a scrap yard - that's done the trick.

In the interim, I carried the spare inside... like the XJ's do. Thought about throwing it in the rack, but didn't want its wind drag to eat up any more mileage than I already do.

kavno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I think im going to try running some bolts through it and see if that helps. I also ordered a cheapo rack that I plan on mounting differently than its supposed to and probably beefing it up as time passes. I plan to mount some KCs to it when I get the $$$