Swing gate loading-discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
So, we all are versed that the max load for the swing gate is in the vicinity of 50lbs +/- . (Been discussed here a bit)

I’m wondering if this weight from the owners manual is a function of the hinges in the swing gate, the sheet metal construction, or both. I assume the latter given how the spare is attached dead center in a focused area.(the least supportive area of the skin)

Got to thinking perhaps if the actual mount has changed to something that bolts on closer to the corners one could add, say two rotopax style fuel jerries. 40 liters/10 gallons of fuel is roughly 60lbs. 40 liters/10gal of water is roughly 88lbs.

I’m no spring chicken anymore and lugging stuff on and off of the roof rack is quite an effort for me. With a gimpy shoulder and such. Working on optimization of load out for what is looking to be a very very busy excursion season.

Curious what yinze think.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
IDK, but as long as the tailgate is closed, you may be quite surprised how much weight it can actually support !
You must be registered for see images attach

:D :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know on the 04 I had a 265-75-16 Duratrac on a Moab for over 25000 miles ( and then got the Rock Lizard rear bumper with dual swingouts ) and the gate got quite loud within the first 1-1500 miles and kept getting worse, until the spare went on the bumper

Plus it had 100,000 miles on it before I went to 265-75-16s

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
How about a cargo Carrier?

Attachments

• Cargo Carrier.jpg
    Cargo Carrier.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 6

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
I know on the 04 I had a 265-75-16 Duratrac on a Moab for over 25000 miles ( and then got the Rock Lizard rear bumper with dual swingouts ) and the gate got quite loud within the first 1-1500 miles and kept getting worse, until the spare went on the bumper

Plus it had 100,000 miles on it before I went to 265-75-16s
Great info. This leads me to deduce that it is a combination of both functions. While the swing gate can handle larger loads. it puts wear and tear on both the hinges and the latch. Well, at least that's how it works out in my head.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
IDK, but as long as the tailgate is closed, you may be quite surprised how much weight it can actually support !
You must be registered for see images attach

:D :)
That is an interesting choice of gear. LOL

Michael Noland

Reaction score
I have a tire step that I put over my spare. I put 5 gallons of diesel (35 lbs) on top of the step. I put a pad over the rough step so I don't tear up the gas can. I've used a cargo carrier for my motorcyle, but it sure limits your ability to cross gullys.

Chuck

Reaction score
So, we all are versed that the max load for the swing gate is in the vicinity of 50lbs +/- . (Been discussed here a bit)

I’m wondering if this weight from the owners manual is a function of the hinges in the swing gate, the sheet metal construction, or both. I assume the latter given how the spare is attached dead center in a focused area.(the least supportive area of the skin)

Got to thinking perhaps if the actual mount has changed to something that bolts on closer to the corners one could add, say two rotopax style fuel jerries. 40 liters/10 gallons of fuel is roughly 60lbs. 40 liters/10gal of water is roughly 88lbs.

I’m no spring chicken anymore and lugging stuff on and off of the roof rack is quite an effort for me. With a gimpy shoulder and such. Working on optimization of load out for what is looking to be a very very busy excursion season.

Curious what yinze think.
....instead of jerries, how about a long range fuel tank. Better weight distribution, lower centre of gravity etc. Painless motoring....
Standard tank is about 78L (±19.5 gal.) right? Here in Australia you can get e.g. 115L (=30 gal.) tanks for some KJ models; https://longrangeautomotive.com.au/Jeep-Cherokee-KJ-115L-Replacement~267
I'm sure the US market is a tad bigger, so you should be able to find something that suits.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
....instead of jerries, how about a long range fuel tank. Better weight distribution, lower centre of gravity etc. Painless motoring....
Standard tank is about 78L (±19.5 gal.) right? Here in Australia you can get e.g. 115L (=30 gal.) tanks for some KJ models; https://longrangeautomotive.com.au/Jeep-Cherokee-KJ-115L-Replacement~267
I'm sure the US market is a tad bigger, so you should be able to find something that suits.
Not likely, you chaps down under have much better products and selections available

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a tire step that I put over my spare. I put 5 gallons of diesel (35 lbs) on top of the step. I put a pad over the rough step so I don't tear up the gas can. I've used a cargo carrier for my motorcyle, but it sure limits your ability to cross gullys.
Putting a lot or weight back there for sure
would never do it

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Oh wow. This is exactly what I need. Shipping between the US and down under is a nightmare right now, but this is brilliant!