Rear end twisted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe200man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rear end is twisted to the right, wondering what all there is to check besides the lower control arms?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
3 things if it hasn't been wrecked
Lower controls arms - if they are bad handling would be like trying to ride a drunk bull down the interstate
Upper control arm - should be able to feel and hear it making noise
Have you checked the frame, have been some that the frame actually rusted out in the area of the front lower control arms mounts ( usually from areas where there is a lot of salt / near ocean etc )

Joe200man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 things if it hasn't been wrecked
Lower controls arms - if they are bad handling would be like trying to ride a drunk bull down the interstate
Upper control arm - should be able to feel and hear it making noise
Have you checked the frame, have been some that the frame actually rusted out in the area of the front lower control arms mounts ( usually from areas where there is a lot of salt / near ocean etc )

The frame is in good shape. The bushings for the upper arm are ripped. How big of a pain are these to press out? was going to do the ball joint at the same time but it looks pretty big, i don't think i have anything big enough to fit over the top of it. Wondering if i should just buy a whole new arm?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The frame is in good shape. The bushings for the upper arm are ripped. How big of a pain are these to press out? was going to do the ball joint at the same time but it looks pretty big, i don't think i have anything big enough to fit over the top of it. Wondering if i should just buy a whole new arm?

Most of the time the tri-link is too corroded to be able to press out the bushings. The steel itself is very thin so it quickly deforms under a press. Best to buy a new control arm - and a Mopar unit is best. Aftermarket units go bad pretty quickly.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
^^^^^^ what Bob said
Go Mopar, more money but well worth it.
The aftermarket cheap ones last me a few months is all.

Joe200man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i took one of the control arms off today but the bushings didn't look that bad. But the way it drives it seems like it should be the lower control arms. It pulls to the right, if i let off the gas it instantly jerks a little to the right and when i hit the gas again it straightens back up but still has the pull? I know the upper arm is shot but that shouldn't make it pull at all should it?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well i took one of the control arms off today but the bushings didn't look that bad. But the way it drives it seems like it should be the lower control arms. It pulls to the right, if i let off the gas it instantly jerks a little to the right and when i hit the gas again it straightens back up but still has the pull? I know the upper arm is shot but that shouldn't make it pull at all should it?
Mine looked OK just to look at them
BUT I could take a 4 way and put it on one of the lug nuts on the right rear wheel and move the axle back and forth without the body moving. On the highway she moved like a 1920s ******

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine looked OK just to look at them
BUT I could take a 4 way and put it on one of the lug nuts on the right rear wheel and move the axle back and forth without the body moving. On the highway she moved like a 1920s ******

I dare not ask how you know this....

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experiences the lowers will cause a pull the left on acceleration and pull to the right when you let off suddenly. Of course my experiences weren't with a tri link, but I have general knowledge of them. The lowers center the axle in the wheelwell, and the upper link holds the pinion angle and controls side to side movement. With a tri link, you would have vibes on acceleration, and/or your axle would be shifted farther to the left or right (looking from behind the rig).

So what exactly is twisted about it? Wheel not centered in wheelwell, axle not centered (looking from behind), or is it leaning?

An easy way to check is back up to a curb with both tires up against it. Have a buddy put it in reverse and put pressure on the curb (but not run up it), while you watch. If the wheel moves front/rear in the wheelwell it's the lowers. If the axle starts to "roll" it's the upper. But like I mentioned, if it was the upper you'd have hella vibes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily.. my upper went bad twice and both times I had no vibration.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it the bushings, the joint, or both? You are right, not all of the time it will have vibes but 95% of the time it will. I was referring to the op's situation. If it was bad enough to look/feel twisted...you would know

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had 4 bad tri-links on mine now and no vibes any of the times
Just the clunking from the right side bushing ( always the issue)
So no not 95% of the time
Now to go out and replace one in about ten minutes

Had bad lowers as well going down the road where the big trucks have grooves it was so much fun, no control over the a** end at all

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it the bushings, the joint, or both? You are right, not all of the time it will have vibes but 95% of the time it will. I was referring to the op's situation. If it was bad enough to look/feel twisted...you would know

With a upper tri-link it's more like 1% of the times you'd get vibs.

Latest posts

Members online