Rear end creaking/rattling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColoradoFlyGuy

Reaction score
Hey y'all. Sorry if this has been posted before but I'm having an issue with my '02 KJ limited.
Intermittently, when turning right I hear a creaking/rattling noise coming from the rear. I hear this same noise occasionally when I am almost to a complete stop and when I just start taking off at a green light. I've heard this same noise a time or two when reversing as well and has continued to rattle for a second after the vehicle is stopped and shut off. I'm not sure if these are related but my vehicle is swaying more than usual and my suspension creaks going over speed bumps.
Jeep said that they weren't sure of the cause of the noise but they said that my front driveshaft boot needs to be replaced. They also checked to see if maybe my interior glass was rattling and that was the cause. It wasn't. I took it into another shop a few days later and they said that the boot didn't need to be replaced at all. They checked heat shields to see if they were what was rattling but that didn't help either. Both shops could not identify the noise.
I am curious if maybe a U-joint needs to be replaced or some bushings somewhere need to be replaced. I'm tired of taking it into shops and them telling me they can't fix what they cant see to be broken so I'm hoping someone might be able to guide me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the **** dealer did you go to... anyways. Rear upper control arm. Take a look at the bushings and ball joint. Also take a look at the rear lower control arm bushings while you are there.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get under there with a flashlight and have a friend or a bunch of the neighborhood children sit in the cargo area and bounce up and down...you should be able to reproduce the noise...

Latest posts

Members online