Rear drum brakes making weird noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jtbailey89

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Sport. I recently started hearing a squeak from my rear drum brakes. But the thing is, is it only does it when I'm in reverse. Do i need to replace the brake shoes or what?? Any ideas are appreciated.

mongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, I would def pull the drum and check everything out. Are you sure it's the breaks and not something in the drivetrain? Wheel bearing, u joints, differential are all worth looking at.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Drum brakes self adjust in a perfect world. Bet on rust/dirt,loose springs,wore out pads,broke nails in drums. Might be time to show them some love.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have some loose or broken hardware inside your brake drum.

Typically when you reverse and apply the brakes the drum brakes self adjust.

It isn't too difficult to check your brakes. Put the rear of the vehicle up on jackstands & remove the wheels & drums.
NAPA sells replacement brake hardware.

sent from my Galaxy SIII & Tapatalk4 beta

redbink

Reaction score
I have the same problem, I suspect that it is the emergency brake(s) that might be rubbing on the drum because there is no tension on the e-brake lever inside the cab. Might have to set the tension on the cable? Other suggestions have been the splash shield rubbing on the rotor and mistaking the noise for a brake problem when it could be a u-joint? There have been cases when a rock is caught in the splash shield or rotor and rubs in one rotation but not the other?