Rear Differential going out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hearing a whine from the rear of the Jeep when I am going down the road. Every once in a while I will feel a jerk from the back when stopping or taking off. Likely the rear differential going out or something less costly like a U joint?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
First don't drive it anymore until you check it out, could mean the difference between a 100 dollar job and 2000.
If you have the trashloc from the factory, it could be it
How long has it been since you serviced the diffs?

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only owned it about 6 months and I have not serviced the differential. I am not sure of its service history. I do not think it has any type of limit slip or locker in the back. If I drop one tire off in the grass I usually have to put it in 4wd to avoid spinning up the yard.

Thelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking now that it was a false alarm. The noise I thought was coming from the rear I now think was just road noise. It goes away when I drive on certain surfaces. I still plan to have the differential serviced soon though.