Rear differential gaskets ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

infernicus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do y'all fellers get your rear differential gaskets ??:cheers:

I have used the three dollar paper gasket from Advance Auto Parts (Part #RDS55047) twice with Indian Head Gasket Shellac (also at Advance - http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...pound-Permatex_7160106-P_N3237_T|GRP2034_____ - I can probably use that bottle one more time before I run out.)

I haven't had a leak yet.

I have also used RTV, in the end it's more or less the same amount of work.
Although, for me, it is easier to clean the Indian Head, than the RTV off of the differential and cover.

:)

Moon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well crap. I got the job done, but realized that I was .2 quarts short. Booooooo.

:cheers:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
When my buddy ( used to be on here as well ) did my gears he used the paper gasket glued to the Crane diff cover, and nothing else. Since then I've had it off 4 times cleaned / reinstalled and no issues/no leaks . No RTV, nothing else. He said its an old drag racing trick where you may drain and fill/ checking gears a lot etc.
Works for me and no issues like I said

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed both diffs and x-fer case today, and balanced the tires. Now I'm running 80W-90 front and back. I used RTV for the rear and it was a snap. The hardest part was lining up the holes when I put the cover back on.

My only mistake was not bringing along my favorite beverage- I was darn thirsty by the time I got done.

:favorites13: