Rear Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rainjer

Reaction score
Does anyone have a repair book that show how to change the rear brakes on a 2003 Liberty Limited 3.7L? If so can you share the page with me?

Now here is why I ask. I went to get new pads & they list the rear pad & a parking brake pad. Do I need both?

I just had the LBJ replacement done & they "said" the inspected the brakes & they were OK. Last week they started howling when backing up out of parking spots. I started looking & it look like the outer pad is rubbing on the edge of the rotor. I want to get them changed out before the weather get crappy.

Please help if you can.

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

The KJ has a Disc Brake and a Hub Brake on the rear.

The brakes 'shoes' are used for the E-Brake (Handbrake)

and the 'pads' are used for normal driving.

It sounds like you need to change the pads, and I would possibly check the level on the handbrake material.

I do no have the instructions, there has been some on here recently.

UKKJ

rainjer

Reaction score
So does that mean I do not need the special brake compressor to retract the brake piston?

tgh117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you will need to compress the piston, you do not necessary need a special tool, it can be done with a c-clamp, or even a large channel lock plyers. The emergency brake pads probably do not need replaced yet, unless you have accidentaly driven with the e brake on, or use your e brake alot.

It is a very simply job to replace the brakes. Just remove the bolts holding the caliper to the axle. loosen the master cylinder cap to make it easier to push the pistons back in. Take the clamp, or tool and push the piston back in. Put the anti squeak stuff on the new pads, and place the pads in the holder or in the caliper, which ever they belong in. Be sure to clean off the caliper pins, because the caliper slides a little on these to move back and forth. The just re lube them and torque everything up.

Do the same thing to the otherside and your set.

Hope this helps. Should take maybe 1-2 hours, depends on how fast everything starts coming to you.

Good luck.

rainjer

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The only other rear disc brakes I have done were on a VW Jetta. You need a special tool to push the piston in. It sounds like the rears on the Jeep are just like front discs.