Rear brake noise, heat, smoke?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zerowick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, my very nervous mother owns a 2004 Liberty Renegade and again is having a problem with the rear brakes getting hot and making noise. Now, I have received this info over the phone so it may not be 100% accurate but she claims there is a "clunking" sound coming from the rear and when she parked the car in the garage there was smoke and burnt brake smell. She had the rotors and pads replaced in December and the differential fluids changed also. The truck has 18,000 miles and only takes her to work and back at low highway speeds for around 28 miles each way. I'm going down there in the morning to check it out for her before she goes to the dealer because the place she bought it from has a very EVIL service department. Any thoughs? Calipers? E-Brake sticking? Thanks for any help and sorry if this is a coverd topic. Chadwick

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
another service dept or a trusted mechanic would help get a better 2nd opinion. I read a similar problem, either in JU or LOST (other jeep boards) i and the clunking, i have read sporatically over the years. I will see if i can track down that similar thread....(if I can..the search on both boards are both suspect)....

it could be the e-brake sticking....

[edit] I tried searching....eh....

zerowick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks Silver, I checked it out today, climbed a big hill to go back down to heat 'em up, man, these little things really move. Too bad my Mom probably never gets it above 2000 rpm; that 3.7 is a nice motor. Anyway, it's the caliper. Must be when the fluid gets hot it seizes up, then releases when cold. So I'm going in with her and going to have the dealer replace the caliper, rotors and pads, both sides. I even thought about doing the shoes because possible damage due to all that heat, ya think? And also have them drain and change out the brake fluid. All at no charge of course. Wish me luck.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yeh the 3.7 is pretty good, tho some have complained about the acceleration.
anyway, good luck with the stealership..let us know what transpires....
for future reference of course...

xraymankb

Reaction score
Brakes

Seems that this is a recurring problem as with what my dealership says. the brakes will lock up. A friend of mine has a 03 limited and his wife had the same problem. brakes cherry red, smoking locked up. so they replaced the left and right side hubs, brakes, calipers because it got trashed. The dealership told him this was not the first time they had it happen and that they heard of it happen. hopes it helps.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Re: Brakes

xraymankb said:
Seems that this is a recurring problem as with what my dealership says. the brakes will lock up. A friend of mine has a 03 limited and his wife had the same problem. brakes cherry red, smoking locked up. so they replaced the left and right side hubs, brakes, calipers because it got trashed. The dealership told him this was not the first time they had it happen and that they heard of it happen. hopes it helps.

Great, one more thing to keep an eye on. Only burning i've noticed on mine is when i'm in alot of stop and go traffic during the summer and I drive aggressively. No smoke or red rotors.....yet

zerowick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks xray, how did they know the hubs had been damaged? How many times or how long did the overheating go on before you had the repairs done and did they charge you?

zerowick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got back from the dealer and it was no picnic. why does the consumer always have to fight for thier rights, well maybe not always, but most of the time. took over an hour to get them to see things my way. the service manager and one of the desk monkeys tried to gang up on me but the service manager was having a hard tiime with eye contact listening to someone that has a clue and finally turned and left the waiting room, at which point I told him not to turn away when someont is talking to him. he continued to move toward the desk so I grabbed his arm (gently) to regain eye contact and he started complaining of assult. I said "if I had assulted you you would know it, you are still standing and you are not bleeding". Maybe that was a little over the top but it got his attention and we continued the conversation. I told them I need the rotor, pads, caliper and shoes and hardware all replaced along with the fluid and they eventually agreed. Now, wether or not they will do all that is still in question, so I requested to have the old parts as evidence, they said they need them for warranty purposes so I said I will just need to look at them.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i really hate dealers...they think that only they know about OUR vehicles...
and as in your case....they encouter someone that actually knows something, they run and hide.....ii wouldve watched them like a hawk...while they fix that thing.....

hope things turn out ok...eh...keep us posted

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's too bad that the guy wasn't even willing to look at the vehicle and acknowledge your suggestions. I always give my suggestions to my mechanic, and often we discuss the problems. Sometimes I'm on the right track, other times I'm way off. When I'm off track, it's nice to have an explanation as to why my thoughts couldn't possibly be right. Sometimes I've come up with good ideas that might have went unnoticed.

zerowick said:
he continued to move toward the desk so I grabbed his arm (gently) to regain eye contact and he started complaining of assult. I said "if I had assulted you you would know it, you are still standing and you are not bleeding".

If things EVER go this disastrous with your attempt at getting any vehicle serviced, you're better off going elsewhere to get the work done. I can't imagine I'd ever trust the work they'd do after the situation has become that heated, especially with a brake issue. One thing further though, if you did walk away, odds are that service manager will call the other dealers in town and give them a heads-up as to what to expect so you'll probably have to leave town for service to get it taken care of properly. Either that or a call to DC customer service.

zerowick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same thoughts guys, on the other hand, they may want to make sure the work is done correctly and thouroughly so they don't have to deal with me again. When we go to pick it up this afternoon there should be people in the showroom buying cars on a nice sunny, warm day and they certainly don't want a scene from me then. I'll keep you posted.

zerowick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I am now on a "do not tresspass" order through the local police dept. That's one way to keep me out of there. They are bringing the Jeep and the parts up to my Mother's place of employment to avoid me altogether. That service manager is good at what he does, gotta give him that.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
zerowick said:
Update: I am now on a "do not tresspass" order through the local police dept. That's one way to keep me out of there. They are bringing the Jeep and the parts up to my Mother's place of employment to avoid me altogether. That service manager is good at what he does, gotta give him that.

are you kidding me!? un-friggin-believable.......

zerowick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But wait, it gets better! I called the police station to get the details and when the officer returned my call he said the service manager was just nervous about some of my statements but there was no action taken and I was not restricted from the property. The service manager thought he could scare my Mother and I with a restraining order story. It did nothing but upset her and certainly didn't scare me a bit, I happen to be squeaky clean. I took the MA State Troopers exam two years ago and got a 90 so I'm way down on the list but still on it. I mean really, what a jerk. I'm picking up my Mother shortly to go get the Jeep so we will see what happens.....can't wait. Oh yeah, my Mother told Mr. Jerk that she would no longer be involved with the dealership and wanted to know what would happen to the Extended Servic Plan. Mr. Jerk said they would either reemburse her for the plan or transfer it to the dealer of her choice.

xraymankb

Reaction score
Sorry Zerowick for such a long time to get back to you.
Sounds like your dealer is a real pain in the you know what.

The problem happened to a friends Liberty as I stated before, His wife noticed the smell at the grocery store, told him, he met her at the dealership, showed the service manager, they kept it over night.j

The dealership was great, saw the problem and decided it was better and safer to replace everything on both rear wheels, hubs and all just to be sure they werent warped.

showed him the parts when picked it up as he requested, no ?
asked, and said thanks and sorry all covered under warranty. Libby had 32,000 miles on it.

I have same dealer and hope it happens under warranty if it happens.
some dealerships are good I guess. \:D/

zerowick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! That is a good dealer, and your kind words will go a long way towards future business for them, other dealers just don't see how important that is. My dealer on the other hand has been less than pleasant, at least from a service stand point.

I took my Mother to pick up the Jeep this afternoon and as soon as I was out of my car the service manager, (Mr. Jerk), pulled along side of me in his car, (he must have just been leaving), and told me I wasn't allowed on the property and I was trespassing. I told him I had talked with the police and there was no action taken against me and I called him a pansy for calling the police in the first place just because he was nervous about our previous conversation. I agreed with him on the private property part but I said unless he was the owner he is wasting his breath. I then walked in to the service dept. where I informed the other monkeys that calling the police is not going to scare me because I have done nothing but try to get my Mother some fair treatment. They showed me the old rotor and caliper and pads and we got the keys and receipt and headed to the parking lot where I confirmed the installation of said replacement
items. Mr. Jerk was still there in his Lexus 470 sport ute talking on the cell phone so I asked him if he was calling the police again because I was leaving soon, (I couldn't resist). He got out of his car and made some kind of "Any time buddy" statement so I went over to make sure I heard him correctly. He asked me if I use intimidation frequently and if that is how I operate. I told him it's not about tough guy stuff, it's about getting my Mother a fair deal. He doubted my intent at which point I called him a worthless snake and went to my car. Hard to believe huh? Unreal. My Mother finds out what is happening with the $1700 6yr/75K extended warranty through the dealer, the service monkey claims the dealer is cutting her a check to buy her out. Oh the drama.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zero, what a story. First, good job on getting the work done. It is fortunate that you know what you are talking about as how many of their other customers do not? Definitely take the warranty (or cash) to another dealer as I wouldn't trust them.

I use to use a great small Mazda dealer for my formerly owned RX-7's. They really took good care of me and I knew them by their first names. I have never had that experience with these larger dealers these days. You are just a number and no one remembers who you are. A trusted mechanic is like a best friend.

Also, aren't repair shops suppose to offer you to return the used parts to prove that they were replaced?

04RkMtnKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
grogiefrog said:
Also, aren't repair shops suppose to offer you to return the used parts to prove that they were replaced?

If the repair was done undr warranty the dealer has to keep them for an X number of days because DCX will request certain items back for either testing or proof for them that the dealer even replaced them. That in a way tells me that Chrysler doesnt even trust the dealer, LOL. Customer pay items the customer can have them back if they want. In fact we used to place the item in the new box and put them in the trunk unless of course there was a core charge on it. There were too many customers that didnt care for the item back and didnt want to dispose of it so we stopped doing it. If the customer requested to see the parts in either case we are always more than happy to show them. What happened at Zero's dealer was absolutely rediculous and I would definitely be on the phone to someone, either Chrysler or the owner of the dealer.

zerowick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to the general manager today who said he could give my Mother a "prorated" refund on the extended warranty which comes out to $1200 and change...no good. Or she could continue to bring it there. He told me I was not allowed on the property but my Mother was and I told him she certainly would not be doing business there then. What the heck is he thinking? He claims to be part owner which would then give him the right to forbid me to go there just like someone telling a neighbor not to go on their property. All this because they wouldn't change the e-brake shoes and hardware on one side. After all that heat from the seized caliper it just makes sense to change everything, especially when my Mother always uses the e-brake at the end of her 30 mile ride between home and work. Those shoes pressed against that cooking rotor is not good. I guess when someone has the least bit of knowledge about automobiles they become a threat to the welfare of the dealer. Sad, very sad.