Rear Body Wiring Harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LukePA

Reaction score
Hi, New to forum; 1st post... I have a 2011 Liberty with Tow package. I'm trying to connect a 5-pin trailer lighting adapter, which requires that I splice a wire to the backup light wire. I removed the jack compartment cover and exposed a group of about a dozen wires, put the car in reverse and started testing for the hot wire. With no lights on, except the backup lights, and the car "ignition on, not running" every one of the wires was hot. How can that be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Luke

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, New to forum; 1st post... I have a 2011 Liberty with Tow package. I'm trying to connect a 5-pin trailer lighting adapter, which requires that I splice a wire to the backup light wire. I removed the jack compartment cover and exposed a group of about a dozen wires, put the car in reverse and started testing for the hot wire. With no lights on, except the backup lights, and the car "ignition on, not running" every one of the wires was hot. How can that be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Luke

Why not just get a 7-pin to 5/6-pin adapter? I see them around here at places like Tractor Supply as well as RV dealers.

I'm not a fan of tapping into wires - plus the adapter lets you use virtually any trailer harness you want. Your Jeep came with a 7-pin to 4-flat adapter. Just add another one to your tow bag :waytogo:

Bob

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with the 2011 but i would tap directly from the light fixture. Atleast take off the light and note the colors of the wires that lead out of the backup light. Then check to see if you can spot those in the jack compartment wire loom.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also not familiar with towing or the adapters that go with it obviously. Bob knows what he is talking about. That sounds alot easier.

LukePA

Reaction score
I probably should have been more clear with my question. I've already found a "workaround" for the trailer lights. What really has me perplexed is the fact that all of the wires (about a dozen) back there are hot when nothing is on except the backup lights. All are reading 12.1 volts from my meter to ground...

LukePA

Reaction score
PS - Bob, I have the adapter. The instructions said to find and tap into the backup light wire...

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess would be its the same as the interior lights. They keep voltage being that incandescents take a bit to actually light up. The power is always there it just doesnt make them light up. Where as leds take very little power to produce light so they glo even when the lights are all off.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS - Bob, I have the adapter. The instructions said to find and tap into the backup light wire...

Wait... Your adapter plugs into the 7-pin fixture that's already there, right?

I'm assuming your trailer has a 5- or 6-pin harness and that's what you're trying to adapt to? If my assumption is wrong then I'm confused :shrug:

Not sure why all wires are showing 12 volts.

Bob