How to remove interior side panels for access to wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a 4 pin trailer wiring kit on my '12 KK. Since I did not have OEM trailer wiring I need to run a hot wire to the back.
I'm trying to keep it looking "professional" so I'd like to run the wires under the carpets, with the harness that's already there. It appears that harness is for the ABS, and emissions.
Question is how do I remove the interior panels next to the drivers seat, and the one behind it, next to passengers feet, in order to pull carpet to get to that area? Does it just pull out?

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at your link, and the kit they refer to shows a hot wire needed to the battery. I bought basically the same kit, although mine is a Curt.
Maybe you missed the part in my post about NOT having OEM trailer wiring. If there is a hidden trailer plug, please enlighten me.
Yes, I wish I had a trailer plug already, but I don't see one, and there's no mention of trailer towing group on the OEM window sticker.
I have wondered about using a key on connection instead of direct to battery, but at least it is a fused circuit, and it is a well insulated hot wire.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
If you pull the plastic covers at the bottom of the door openings (driver's side) you should find wires to run yours with. There's a rubber plug in the firewall behind the brake booster that you can pass the power wire through.

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Is that the harness that comes up through under the rear floor?

ElCheapo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To update; It is pretty easy to go this route. The important thing is to remove the front panels first, since they overlap to the rear.
Just pull up on the plastic door sill, and inwards at the front where the hood release is. It will pull forward from the next piece back.
Then pull inwards on the next piece, which also covers the seat belt mechanism, and upwards at the rear door sill.
When those pieces are out, you can pull up the rug enough to get to the wiring.
re-install the rear one first. It all snaps together pretty good.
I ran my hot wire to the stud at the edge of the fuse block rather than to the battery.

Latest posts

Members online