Rear axle play?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Griemster1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night i was rotating my tires and i noticed that both sides of my rear axle have some play in them. You can move the axle in and out about 1/8" to 1/4". I was just wondering if that is normal or I'm getting ready to make a trip to junk yard to get a new rear end?

Thanks

BLACKDEER

Reaction score
Last night i was rotating my tires and i noticed that both sides of my rear axle have some play in them. You can move the axle in and out about 1/8" to 1/4". I was just wondering if that is normal or I'm getting ready to make a trip to junk yard to get a new rear end?

Thanks
Sounds like the same problem I got, what did you find?
Thanks,
Blackdeer

CWBenjamin

Reaction score
What about being able to rotate each wheel a bit before they grab and turn the axel? I am wondering if the rear-differential is loose from wear or something because I can turn my rear wheels a little bit before I feel them grabbing in the differential... I also feel a jerk sometimes when I hit the gas when my KJ is trying to shift.

Brendon Holt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about being able to rotate each wheel a bit before they grab and turn the axel? I am wondering if the rear-differential is loose from wear or something because I can turn my rear wheels a little bit before I feel them grabbing in the differential... I also feel a jerk sometimes when I hit the gas when my KJ is trying to shift.

Holy thread revival! Is this in park or neutral? And with both rear wheels in the air?

CWBenjamin

Reaction score
I am a forum Necromancer. Haha.

Both rear in the air, in park. can turn wheels just a bit before I feel it grab or engage in the differential...

Brendon Holt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a forum Necromancer. Haha.

Both rear in the air, in park. can turn wheels just a bit before I feel it grab or engage in the differential...

I'd say it's normal, and the play/catch you're feeling isn't in the diff it's normal play in the transmission. The parking pawl (I think it's called that at least) is what holds the driveline in place but there is always a little play. Even on a brand new car.

If you put it in neutral while you have the rears in the air I would bet you don't feel the same thing (remember to block the front wheels!).

CWBenjamin

Reaction score
I'd say it's normal, and the play/catch you're feeling isn't in the diff it's normal play in the transmission. The parking pawl (I think it's called that at least) is what holds the driveline in place but there is always a little play. Even on a brand new car.

If you put it in neutral while you have the rears in the air I would bet you don't feel the same thing (remember to block the front wheels!).

Will give it a try next time I jack them up, thanks!