RB1 DVD-ROM Backup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever try to backup their RB1's DVD-ROM? I hear that disc is pretty expensive, and I'd hate to have to replace it due to a scratch...

I have a dual-layer DVD burner at work, and was wondering if a copy of the DVD-ROM would work just as well as the original.

Dual-layer blanks are still pretty expensive, and I was just wondering if anyone else tried this before I do.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont know if it would work, but you can get the media pretty cheaply now if you do a little looking. Heres a link for a 5-pack for $30.

I'd be interested to see how you make out, or if anyone has tried this before. I'm an admirer of the RB1 - I really want one, but I really cant justify the price tag right now (maybe ever)

-Blu

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I was successfully able to make a back-up of my RB1's DVD-ROM onto a dual layer DVD+R disc, but am uneasy about using it in my RB1.

I think I'll shelve it until the day I should NEED to use it.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yeh, if anything, it will just say "cant read" or whatever...or spit it back out
better try it out now, until the day u really need it, and find out it doesnt work, then ur doubly screwed

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I tried my backup today. It didn't work. It must be copy protected like Playstation games are protected. I'm sure it can be done with something like Alcohol 120% ( http://www.alcohol-software.com ), but I don't want to spend the effort researching.

I'll just keep my original safe.

jjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe those are for DVD MOVIES, not DVD DATA discs, so they won't help me in this situation.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, you're exactly right. Bitsetting would be your alternavite. Force a DVD+R to look like a DVD-ROM. Many writers support this, and it may allow you to make a usable backup.

If you need more info on this give me details on your burner and I'll try and research when I get a moment, or check out http://club.cdfreaks.com - a message board about cd/dvd writers (yes, I'm a true geek)

-Blu

CoasterG

Reaction score
Few good bitsetting utilities out there if your drive supports it.

When I'm burning anything that I'm going to use in a DVD player or transport I use DVD+Rs bitset which really helps with compatibility.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
hm...cant u use dvd decrypter to make it into an ISO, then reburning the ISO image with a normal proggie such as Nero?

my friend just bought an hdd and a hdd loader proggie for his ps2....for *cough* backups *cough* and speed (hdd loads WAY faster on the ps2 than the dvd's...little to no lag time)....

some games u need to import them to pc, then reburn, then put in on the hdd....and one of the methods was to use dvd decrpyter to convert it into an ISO....

anyone know if those dvd's are dual layer....?