Raptor lining my interior because wet carpet *****.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up a 1 "gallon bag" of Insulating Paint Additive Makes Paint Insulate

Mixed it into 1 gallon of Rustoleom.

Just put down the first coat.

Gonna do the 2nd in the morning. Then spray the Raptor liner after work.
You must be registered for see images attach

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First coat

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks great! I'm curious, but what kind of shape was your carpet in?

(And please don't say "flat".) ;)

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wet?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice work Myke! Looks good!
Ever consider installing a bilge pump?
There is stuff floating around back there! ha ha.. :gr_grin:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of bait did you use to hook that thing? And how long did it take you to reel it in?

Was this one of those "Gee, that was a little wild, but fun anyway" experiences? Or was it more like "Oh, crap!"?

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work Myke! Looks good!
Ever consider installing a bilge pump?
There is stuff floating around back there! ha ha.. :gr_grin:

I can't believe there isn't any drain plugs. I'm going to drill holes and put removable plugs in next weekend.

I also have a set of weather stripping for the doors I'm replacing. I have a tear in the driver side and I saw it coming in there after being submerged for a minute or two.

What kind of bait did you use to hook that thing? And how long did it take you to reel it in?

Was this one of those "Gee, that was a little wild, but fun anyway" experiences? Or was it more like "Oh, crap!"?

Oh totally fun. I don't mind getting stuck now. With the winch it's fun and typically easy to do self recovery.

The pics are from 2 different times I've got it flooded. The first time I wet vac'd it everyday for a week and then carpet shampoo'd every day for another week to get it to not smell. So this last time I flooded it even worse and just said screw it and ordered the kit while still in the trail.

Adding a snorkel next and figured there is no point in getting one if I'm not gonna want to get it wet.

I still have to waterproof all the connections inside the jeep because when it gets wet my rear wiper goes off by itself.

Going to use dielectric grease and liquid electrical tape. Idk what I'm gonna do with the ecu/bcm/etc. I've seen people put them in zip lock bags and seal it with the liquid tape or use tubaware containers.

O5berylgrnrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try conformal coating its a waterproofing product for electronics used alot in scale radio control trucks for coating circuit boards ect

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Modern 4x4's are not designed to go under water no matter what you do. Yes years ago minimal wiring front to rear and even the engine bay did not have that much. So you could go without too many issues. Was doing it back in the 1970s in CJs.
With todays computers, wiring running everywhere it is almost impossible if not impossible to completely seal everything. Snorkels are more designed to filter cleaner air on dusty dirt roads that to make it go deeper in water. Are you extending your exhaust up to the upper rear corner as well ??
Seen some of the youtube videos and most are lame excuses and not for a DD rig at all , just my 2 cents from a lot of wasted money over the last 40 years trying stupid sh**. ( well for the first 5 years)

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will you be replacing the carpet after you're done with the coatings? I'm curious about how much the carpet attenuates the noise and how loud it will be just driving around. How many mm thick is the coating?

Water and all the circuitry that exists in modern cars doesn't mix (sorry, wanted to bang the drum again). That being said, there's plenty to do to minimize water intrusion. I was thoroughly surprised the first time I took the Libby through deep water and no water leaked in through the door seals. Great idea to grease/silicon connectors, but how many is enough to ensure there won't be issues? Do you have breathers for the diffs, transfer case, and ******?

Snorkel is a great idea, but it could bite you in the ass by giving you a false sense of security. E.g., going through deeper water than you would necessarily enter and water getting into the ECU or other electronics. I guess what I'm getting at is that Liberties are not submarines. Only jeep submarine I've seen is this one https://youtu.be/icp2Pb5uoME

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Modern 4x4's are not designed to go under water no matter what you do. Yes years ago minimal wiring front to rear and even the engine bay did not have that much. So you could go without too many issues. Was doing it back in the 1970s in CJs.
With todays computers, wiring running everywhere it is almost impossible if not impossible to completely seal everything. Snorkels are more designed to filter cleaner air on dusty dirt roads that to make it go deeper in water. Are you extending your exhaust up to the upper rear corner as well ??
Seen some of the youtube videos and most are lame excuses and not for a DD rig at all , just my 2 cents from a lot of wasted money over the last 40 years trying stupid sh**. ( well for the first 5 years)
I don't plan on changing my driving habits. It's more so I don't have to worry as much when crossing short but deep rivers or flooded mud holes that I already do now and much easier cleaning. I don't plan on moving my exhaust which will be fine as long as I don't turn off the engine in the water.

Even though it won't be waterproof it will be more water resistant that what the factory gives you.

So far the floor/Trans tunnel is cool to the touch. Feels like the Hy-Tech ceramic mix in is doing its job. It's also no louder (road noise) with the windows up and the ac on #3 than it was before. May even be quieter.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my KJ in water that was cresting over the hood for 50 yards or so,not only did it once but what the hell and did it 3 times.

Of course that was pre-SFA and no I didn't stop but not a drop of water inside.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you stay moving nothing comes in. It's when you get stuck.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ in 99% of all cases,Forded 60"(that is 5 feet) of water many times(not in my KJ) for long distances and never stopped and got soaked every single time.Thank god for the hand throttle.
Well yeah 5ft deep water. My pics are 2ft to 3.5ft deep.

Members online

No members online now.